Leah

Later that evening, J was curled on her sofa in her old home, with Logan beside her.

They were surrounded by their pack, all of them but Jonathon – even Callie and Caleb who had apparently been helping Elenor of all people, with something. They sat together, lounged over sofas and curled on floors with the crackle of the fire in the background. J had never felt so calm, so at peace. And the following day she would be heading to her new home. To the Black Oath packlands.

Warmth filled her chest as she curled further into Logan's side, his hands continuing their lazy exploration of her spine. She watched Callie silently, she'd finally showered, and for the first time, J could see beyond the dirt and grime – to the young woman underneath. Watching her interact with Trevor, it was hard to believe how young she was. J knew she should ask her what age she was, rather than just guessing at 16, but she was also very aware that the girl had spent most of her life in the wilderness, all alone. The likelihood was, that she didn't know herself.

J's stomach clenched, and she looked towards Caleb. Her brother. Introducing him to Logan – properly this time, had filled her with pride and warmth. And although it sometimes still felt strange to think that he'd grown up so differently to her, and wore the face of her father, J was more pleased than she'd ever be able to convey, that she'd found him.

They'd already decided to make the trip back to see her grandmother, Logan in tow this time. She'd warned him that thanks to Callie they had at least three dinners lined up with various pack members. That girl made friends far too easily.

It was part of the reason J loved her – loved all of them. Because in their own way, they were all broken, and yet when together, became whole.

So much had changed over the last few years, sat in her old house only made it more apparent. She barely recognised the woman stood glowering in the background of photos scattered on the surfaces - most likely by Saf in J's absence.

Over the years, J had lost so much, but had gained so much more.

And tomorrow, tomorrow her new life would begin.

One thing still nagged at J though. The rogue.

"You're sure?" She asked Logan along the packlink, "you're sure the rogue is dead?"

Logan locked eyes with her but answered in her mind, "yes. He must be. There's no way he could have survived that."

J nodded and settled back into him, yet couldn't shake the feeling of unease.

If he was truly dead, why hadn't they found a body?

*

5 Days Earlier:

Leah watched in muted horror as J faced off against Liam.

"Where is he, Liam?" The hatred in J's voice made Leah shudder. Liam waivered, and Leah could feel how terrified he was. What had he done?

By the time J had dragged the truth from him, Liam was a mess. A very defeated mess. And Kelsey? She looked like the world had been stolen from beneath her feet. Leah went to comfort her, but Kelsey tore off after the group that frog marched Liam away.

Leah glanced into the house where some of the wolves still remained, and then to the group heading for the bunker. She knew she should go with them, maybe she could help if Logan was injured. Though Doc was there, and they would call if she was needed....

Leah wasn't sure she could cope with seeing Logan in such a state – and if he was dead... She couldn't bear to think what it would do to J. Knowing she didn't have a choice – that her friend needed her, she set off after them.

They were far ahead, but she raced across the grass to catch up - or would have done, had a branch snapping in the distance not caught her attention.

She tripped and fell, hands grazing across the ground as her momentum flipped her onto her back. She lay gasping into the night, surprise filtering across her face.

A scent. That scent. That's what had tripped her. She quickly rolled to her knees, her wolf ready to trigger her transformation. What was that scent?

It was danger. Leah knew that much. Danger and something else – something...tangy...blood? Yes, blood. Lots of blood. Fear swelled in Leah's stomach and her instincts kicked in. Whoever the scent belonged to was injured – badly.

Racing towards the stranger, she forced herself to ignore her wolf's demands to change into her wolf form. If she did that, she wouldn't be able to heal whoever it was.

As she rounded a corner and reached the perimeter of the packlands, she skidded to a stop. She'd been right about the blood. It was everywhere.

Without even thinking, she fell to her knees beside the barely breathing beast of a wolf. Blood matted its fur, turning it a dark, black colour. So much blood.

Leah took in a deep breath and steadied herself, calling her power from her wolf, summoning her strength. Stretching her palms out over the wolf, she began to mutter the words her mother had once taught her all those years ago. Her arms began to glow, the wounds on the wolf following suit. But there were so many. Too many.

Leah barely bit back her scream as wounds open and closed on her body. Imaginary claws and teeth pulled apart her flesh before her healing power resealed it. She'd never known pain like it, never felt fear like it either.

She knew what J and Cassidy had gone through under Caine, knew they'd suffered, but she'd been spared – mostly. But this? This was an endless stream of agony.

She knew she wouldn't be able to heal the wolf, not completely, but she would do her best and hope that someone else from the pack found them. It hadn't even occurred to Leah that this wolf wasn't part of the pack. He was a stranger. A stranger who had been so close to death.

Leah's wolf whined, begging her to stop, but Leah couldn't, not now. So caught up in her power, she just had to wait it out – wait until her body gave out and her power faded.

The wolf's head glowed brightest of all and Leah practically felt her own brain break and fracture as darkness swelled into her. Just as quickly, her power chased it out, but she knew – knew far too late, that this wolf had been rogue. That she was healing a wolf that would likely kill her the second she passed out.

As darkness pin pricked her eyes and a swaying tiredness swept through her, Leah only had time to watch the rogue wolf clamber to his feet before she slid to the ground, her eyes fluttering closed.

*
A/N

More on Friday...