Dark

As J walked in the direction of home, she heard familiar voices arguing in the distance. She paused, one foot hovering above the ground. She should really get back to Logan, but she knew those voices – Cassidy, Kelsey and Saf – and they were arguing. If she wasn't mistaken, Kelsey was also crying.

Knowing they were most likely arguing about Logan, Liam or the rogue, J sighed heavily and headed towards them. She had been right, Kelsey was crying. They fell into an awkward silence as they spotted her.

"J," Cassidy began, and J knew she was going to try to apologise – try to make it OK that Liam had held her mate captive. If it had been any other wolf pack or anyone else's mate, Liam would have just started a war.

As it was, J wasn't sure how she felt about it. A deep, dark anger was burning in her middle, but her chest was full with the golden glow of the mating bond – a bond she wouldn't have if Liam hadn't kept Logan in one place for long enough.

What she did know, was that she didn't want Kelsey to suffer because of her mate's poor choices. "Kels', you OK?" J asked, ignoring Cassidy as she stepped towards the sobbing she-wolf.

Kelsey briefly met her gaze, before her body started shaking with sobs again, "I'm so sorry, J," she mumbled, hiccupping. J hesitated, rolled her eyes and then – to everyone's surprise, most of all J's – wrapped an arm around Kelsey and let the she-wolf cry on her shoulder.

Cassidy and Saf watched in silence, both sharing a glance that J couldn't read. Eventually, Kelsey pulled away, slightly more in control than she had been. "The-They've locked Liam up. I-I" she hiccupped, "I know why, J, I do. I'm angry. I'm so angry, and hurt, but...he's my mate," she practically whined, fruitlessly wiping at the tears rolling down her cheeks as fresh ones replaced them.

"I know, Kels'. I know." J turned to Cassidy, "keep him locked up whilst we're here." Kelsey drew in a sharp breath and stepped back from J, "but once we've gone...let him go Cassidy. I know why he did it. On some level, I get it. But if any of the Black Oath pack see him...I can't guarantee his safety. So, keep him away for now, but don't punish him too harshly."

Cassidy watched her in surprise, but nodded wordlessly.

"What were you all arguing about, anyway?" J prompted, noting the tension between Saf and Cassidy – again.

Cassidy looked away, suddenly feigning interest in their surroundings, even Kelsey found another spot to focus on. Only Saf would meet J's gaze. J simply raised an eyebrow in question and waited.

Saf fought an internal battle but eventually sighed, "Cassidy didn't want to tell you," Cassidy growled, "but we've been getting threats from another pack." J's eyes darted to Cassidy who looked both guilty and annoyed, "the Rivermoon pack."

J shook her head and released a whistle of air from between her teeth, so that's why they hadn't told her. It was the pack who's alpha she'd killed when she went to the Blazer pack territory. "Shit, I'm sorry Cassidy. I had no idea. We left things on a good note, I thought. Well. Y'know. I mean, I killed their alpha and all, but let his beta take charge. I never thought they'd come looking for revenge."

"It's fine. They've only sent a few threats. I think their new alpha is struggling to keep his hold over the pack. I keep telling Saf that it's nothing, but..."

"It's not nothing, Cassidy. I've told you that the threats are getting worse. The man's desperately trying to hold onto his pack, which makes him dangerous. There's something going on. Something is changing between the packs. Everything is more tense. And I told you we should tell J sooner."

"It's not like you tell people everything," Cassidy snapped back, rounding on Saf, "where have you been all these months?"

J shared a look with Kelsey, both aware of the growing tension as Saf fought to control her wolf. "I've told you. I've been looking for something."