Three

Three
Friend

Charles stared. Alona stared.

A quirky fear leapt inside her heart. She was afraid Charles knew she was the reason he failed his Social. She was afraid he remembered her.

"What ya staring at, dawg?"

Alona replied with a broken laugh. "I was wondering why you looked so handsome?" She almost carried the cart and hit her head with it. She could make up any excuse to hide her fear, but to say handsome? Of all possible excuses? With his smokey eyes too smokey and purple lips too purple. . . there was no way in hell this punk is handsome.

Charles smirked. "Now ya talking." He slung his guitar over his shoulder. "See ya at school." Then he strode his way down the street, his pocket chains and studded metal bracelets clanging along.

Alona cradled the books and went inside Mrs. Neil's house. She fleetingly questioned why Charles visited Mrs. Neil, but dismissed it for it wasn't important.

"That was my son."

Alona stumbled on her feet, the books falling flat on the floor before she could bring them to the table. Charles . . . Mrs. Neil's son? Charles Felix is Mrs. Neils son?

"Are you okay? Alona, you're turning pale." Mrs. Neil turned her wheels towards the young woman. "I'd better give your Mom a call."

"No, Mrs. Neil. I'm okay." Alona flashed her a smile, kneeling and putting the books on top of the table.

"Are you sure?"

Alona nodded. And she wondered why people always have to affirm things twice. She really meant it when she said she was okay.

"You're sweating." Mrs. Neil rolled back her wheelchair, directing it towards the kitchen. "I'll get you a glass of water."

Alona sat on the couch as she gave a thank you. "How did you like Forest?" It was the most recent book Mrs. Neil read, finished it yesterday and called Alona to talk about it, but Alona was too engrossed watching Hansel and Gretel, the CD she found in the attic. She was not going to bring it to her room at first, but the description said it was horror so she decided to give it a try.

"If I could rate it six of five, I would. It's a heartbreakingly beautiful love story." Mrs. Neil's voice was louder. Alona could hear the clattering of glasses. "Do you want me to spoil it?"

"Yes, please, if you are willing to."

"Someone picked Lawrence up. Do you remember his wish that I told you about? When one day, when every part of him breaks, he hoped someone would put his pieces back. I guess it is true that out of the billions of humans in this world, there is that one person who cares."

"Is Lawrence the name of the main?"

"Oh! Right! Your brother's name is Lawrence." Mrs. Neil emerged from the kitchen and Alona got up to take the water. "Speaking of him, how is he? When is he coming home?"

"He'll be in time for Christmas." Alona hated to even think about the return of her older brother. She wished he could forever stay overseas. He would only smack her on the head every time he got the chance when their Mom's not looking. He would boss her around. Last year, he dragged her to Ruth's house and made her carry a brown teddy bear even bigger than her against the flurrying snow. Then he kicked her out when Ruth offered that she stay for a cup of hot chocolate. Alona was freezing, but Lawrence cared more about Ruth than her although she was the one dying of cold.

"Alona?"

Alona flinched. The glass of untouched water still in her hands, and Mrs. Neil staring at her, for a minute she was lost in the events of last year.

Last year's Christmas was the worst and best Christmas. Their Dad left and if it wasn't for Lawrence, Alona could have come home in time to stop him. She had stood on their porch, prepared to scream at her brother in anger, but when Lawrence didn't even spare her a glance, quietly went to his room instead and didn't come out for dinner even when their Mom kept banging his door, Alona put it off. Things must have not gone well with him and Ruth.

Last year's Christmas, Henry said hello to her for the first time. After she left Ruth's house and was about to get on the bus, Henry got off. They almost bumped into each other if they weren't careful. Then Henry smiled and greeted her hello before going off his way.

Last year's Christmas, Charles gave her one of his studded metal bracelets. She sat at the very back seat of the bus, didn't realize Charles was sitting at the opposite end of the row. Then Charles tossed the bracelet onto her lap, nonsensically telling her that it would keep her warm. As soon as she got off, Alona threw it in the garbage bin.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Neil. I was just thinking of something." Alona drew the glass to her mouth and drank slowly.

"If it wasn't too late, I was hoping you could accompany me to Terra Cotta," Mrs. Neil shook her head, "but foolish me, it's Sunday. You'll be studying."

"I can join you." Alona took the glass back to the kitchen, washed it then went back to the living room. "I'm meaning to buy books too, anyway."

"Thank you, Alona." Mrs. Neil was genuinely grateful. For tomorrow would be his son's seventeenth birthday, and tomorrow she would leave Scarlet City.