Nineteen

Nineteen
Beautiful

'I'm sorry. I lied.'

Alona folded the paper into half, inserting it in between the leaves of her binder notebook. Her eyes followed Charles, walking his way out and disappearing through the door.

"Hey, Alona, you really look good in that dress." The corners of Henry's mouth curved up in a gentlemanly way as he stood by her seat. She returned his smile, which he didn't quite expect she would do. Hesitatingly, Henry gulped before speaking again. "I'm hosting an early Christmas party on our last Friday. Everyone in all of my classes are invited to come."

"Uh-umn, does that include me?" Alona prepared to leave their room after finishing shoving all her things in her bag. When Henry responded with a yes, she smiled. "Sweet. I'll be sure to come."

Outside their classroom, Giselle was waiting for them, or for Henry if Alona was to word it right.

With a smile, Giselle expressed how pretty she looked in the dress, and even asked where she bought it. Alona replied that it was a gift, but also turned back to tell Giselle that she would let her know once she asked her Mom.

***

Two Fridays. Alona wondered what Charles meant when he wrote 'I'm sorry. I lied.'

Two Saturdays. It was the first and second time in almost a year already. That they went out. Together. A family date. Though without their Dad this time around, it was still a family date.

Two Sundays. Mrs. Neil had not called yet, not ever. Alona dreaded the feeling.

That third Thursday, Alona was at their doorsteps at five in the morning, wearing her running shoes, stretching.

"It's the end of the world, Alona! It's the end—"

"Of the world. Why is it the end of the world?"

Sanda jumped back a little, surprised. Alona's tilted head poked over the wall's end. Showing her whole body, she stood properly and walked towards her. "Why is it the end of the world?" she asked again.

"It's a funny way to wake up to," Sanda replied. "You don't find it funny?"

"Scary, you mean? When you first did that, I woke up startled and panicking. I was prepared to climb up the roof and watch for the meteor or the sun."

"How is watching for the meteor or sun panicking?"

"Maybe it's not panicking then. I thought I'd at least see one last beautiful thing before dying."

Sanda chuckled. "If you're all warmed up, should we start jogging?"

For Alona who was only beginning, Sanda's pace was slow. When they were nearing the Ruby Amore Cafe, Alona asked, "Why do you want to lose weight?"

She laughed. "I'm not running to lose weight."

"Then why?"

"I've been placing second or third during races in school. I thought if I really wanted to be a track and field athlete, I needed to practice and at least come in first place." Sanda glanced at Alona. "What about you? What changed your mind and made you join me?"

"So you don't come shouting down my bedroom window again and disturbing my sleep," Alona joked. "There's this girl from school named Giselle. She ate lunch with me some three weeks ago in the same table saying she just wanted to eat with me. I almost cried because I was so touched. Feeling alone and excluded is a terrifying feeling. I'll run with you from now on so you don't feel alone."

Sanda stopped running. Alona did too. Hugging Alona, she whispered, "Thank you."

That third Friday, Alona could not hold her peace any longer. In the morning, she waited for him just outside the school entrance. Among the sea of students, it was easy to recognize Charles with his leather jacket. She asked for him. They went inside together and spoke by Alona's locker. Very clearly, she asked, "What lie?"

"My Mom is not writing a book."

"Oh." Alona chuckled, but the nervousness she was feeling could not be hidden. "That's one tiny lie!"

"Alona, the truth is, I don't think we'll ever hear from her again. My Dad doesn't know too. But her new boyfriend's family wanted them to start afresh, without any remnants of the past that might only hurt them."

"B-But. . ." Alona snuffled, "we will not hurt them. . . will we?"

"For us, we will not. We can be sure of that. But for them, we might. We all don't see and feel pain the same way, after all."

Alona bobbed her head. "So long as she is happy."

"She is." Charles smiled. "Also, I'm leaving Scarlet tonight."

"For the break?"

Charles shook his head. "For Currant. For good."

And Alona remembered that Mrs. Neil mentioned that Charles would have to follow his Dad.

Because his Dad needs him.

***

At lunch time, Charles' friends who had seen her coming their way had motioned towards each other to move tables. With her lunch in her hands, Alona took the seat across Charles.

"Can I tell you something?"

Raising his head and nibbling on the beef pattt like they were cookies, Charles gestured for her to go on only to interrupt her before she could open her mouth.

"That bracelet."

Alona looked down at her wrist, then looked up at Charles. "It's yours."

Charles chuckled. "It has been yours for a year already. I thought you discarded it."

"I went back to get it."

"Why?"

"I don't know."

"Why don't you know?"

"I just don't." Alona took a deep breath. "I was going to tell you something but you kept asking me questions now I forgot."

Charles just stared at her with amusement, the corners of his lips slightly curving up. "Can you see me off tomorrow in the terminal?"

Alona bit on her vegetable spring roll, nodding. Then she mumbled while chewing, "I think I like you too."

Charles was now visibly elated. Grinning, he asked, "Can I tell you something too?"

"Y-Yes?"

Charles leaned closer towards Alona. Softly and tenderly, he placed his hand on her cheek. "You're beautiful."

End