{TWELVE}

{TWELVE}

I spend the next day in bed, thankful that Jennifer and planned ahead and rescheduled everyone who had an appointment today.

When Wednesday finally came I was feeling a lot better, the only issue I was having was my nose, and that was more manageable. And like every day at the office, my spot was taken, I rolled my eyes, parked somewhere else and took my coffee from Scott. That was one thing that I did enjoy about the morning. That every day when I came into work, Scott was there holding a coffee and a smile. "I wanted to ask you something." He said, following me up the stairs, per usual to our routine.

"Sure, what's up?"

"My friend invited me out tomorrow night, but with Roger away I'd be the third wheel, I was hoping that maybe, you'd join me? If you're feeling better I mean."

I rubbed the back of my neck, stopping in front of my door. I wanted to give myself space from Scott. But at the same time, I didn't want to be very far from him. I wanted him an arms reach away. Not close enough for me to have feelings for him, but close enough that I could still see him. "Sure." I said, nodding my head, "What time? I'll pick you up."

Scott smiled, giving me the details for tomorrow night.

The rest of the day at work went by pretty smooth, I had to stay late and deal with rescheduled patients, it was the same the next day as well, Thursday night, I worked until seven-thirty, I had to text Scott and let him know that I wouldn't be out of the office until late and that I wouldn't have time to go home, change and pick him up on time. So instead he offered to pick me up at the office.

It was just after eight and I was standing outside the office building when Scott pulled up in a blue, brand new looking pickup truck. "Hey, doc." He greeted with a smile.

"Nice truck," I smirked climbing in it and leaving my briefcase and phone on the back seat. "How old is she?"

"Brand new. Off the lot two months ago, my dad got me it as a gift for graduating. I don't drive her too much."

"How many cars do you have?" I raised a brow, watching as he shifted the truck into gear and drove from the parking lot.

"I have four all together. One I drive to work, one for weekends, one to show off and one for off-roading."

"And what's she?"

"Shes to show off." He grinned, giving me a small wink before turning his eyes back to the road. The drive to, wherever we were going, was quiet, Scott has low music playing, and we didn't really talk. When we did it was just small things. How work was, how his case was going -which was apparently going very well, and he was hoping to have it finished by the end of the week.-

"About that hockey game." I started but stopped when we pulling into a restaurant.

"Now, Claire and Marshall are best kind. Mash is an engine, and Claire works with kids. They wanted to have this dinner with me for weeks to celebrate me getting a job. Which is stupid because all knew I was getting this job. It's the family business. But anyways, Claire and I have known each other since we were kids. She knows Roger is away, and that you're a friend so just be yourself." He jumped out of the truck, and I followed suit walking into the fancy restaurant, the orange lights hanging low while people mumbled all around us.

The hostess took us to a table with a petite brunette and a bulky man, both dressed up as if this was a five-star restaurant and this was a meal with their boss. Claire was, very short. With short blonde hair and brown eyes, while Marshall was the night to her day, he was a very tanned thick man with hardly any hair on his head dressed in a patterned dress shirt with dress pants on, his ears gauged and a big smile on his face. "Hey, my man!" Marshall greeted getting up from his seat in the booth, He gave Scott a hug, before shaking my hand. And I'll be honest, I felt like a shrimp next to that man, he had to at least be 6'5".

Claire stood up, she must have been just over 5'3" everything about her was little, she hugged Scott and smiled at me before her and her boyfriend sat back down in their booth, and Scott scooted into ours, while I sat beside him.

"I'm sure Roger would be upset he couldn't make it." Scott said, taking a menu. Claire tisked, and rolled her eyes. "Oh don't be like that," Scott said before looking towards me. "She doesn't like Roger."

"He doesn't give you much to like," Claire said, her voice high pitched, almost nasally, but not unbearable, almost adorable.

"You hardly know him."

"And I hardly want to."

Scott huffed, shaking his head, I just gave them both an awkward smile while picking up my own menu.

"We should go to Mario's across the road after this," Marshall said after out food was delivered. "Get a couple drink in us."

"I've got to work tomorrow." I said just as Scott said, "I'm down." I looked at him, and he smirked at me while I just rolled my eyes. "Guess I'll DD."

"Perfect settled then."

The rest of the meal was nice, the atmosphere calming, and as the night went on I grew more comfortable with Claire and Marshall, I learned they had a small child and had been married for three years, together for six. They lived in town and liked to ski during the winter.

We walked over to Mario's, Scott close to my side, almost to close. His shoulder brushed mine every could seconds as he chatted with his friends and smiled at me every so often. The little bar didn't have many people in it, there was a few sitting at the bar, some in booths, and one couple making out on a bar stool in the corner.

"Hey- isn't that?" Marshall started, then stopped when Claire glared at him.

In the corner, with his mouth pressed tight to a busty woman was Roger, who was supposed to be out of town working. The two completely oblivious that anyone had walked into the bar, let alone Roger's own boyfriend.

I thought Scott would lose his cool, his shoulders got tense and he walked to the bar, but nowhere near Roger. "Hey," I mumbled as he ordered a shot. "Maybe we should just le-"

"What, and let him ruin my night? No way. Take a drink Doc, we'll be here a while."

1126

1126