{THIRTY}

{THIRTY}

I unlocked the apartment door, pushing it open with my shoulder as I held a suitcase in each hand, one mine, one my mothers. I smiled as I caught sight of Freddie lounging on his cat tree, fast asleep. I heard Scott moving something around in the other room. "We're home!" I called, dropping the luggage as mom pushed her way into the house with wide eyes.

"This is amazing..." She spun around, taking everything in. She reminded me a lot of myself when I first came to Scott's place.

It was pretty breathtaking.

"I'm here!' Scott called out from the spare bedroom, before jogging out the door and smiling at me once our eyes met. I'd never tire of seeing him with his glasses on, and this dishevelled hair. He wore a green tight Tshirt and dark blue jeans.

He was beautiful.

"Welcome home doc!" He grinned, coming down the hall, stopping at the threshold and smiled at my mother. "You must Dohnna. I'm Scott." He held a hand out for my mother to shake, which he took with a smile. "It's so nice to meet you. Sidney has been telling me all about you."

"Oh, I'm sure he's been leaving out all the good stuff." Mom said, before looking Scott up and down. "My goodness, you're either very young or aged really well."

Well, thanks for making it awkward mom. But Scott didn't miss a beat, he just beamed, laughing a bit. "I'm twenty-four. But my birthday is on the tenth of January, so they're only been ten years between us then." He looked at me, with a mischievous glint in his eye.

"Oh, that's not bad at all. Before I was with Sidney's father I dated a man twelve years older than me. Oh and just a couple years ago I went to Purto Rico with a twenty-six-year-old. Oh, those were the best seven days of my life he was so-"

"Alright mom, that's enough," I said, pushing her towards the hallway. "Let me show you your room."

The rest of the holiday was great

The rest of the holiday was great. New Years Janet, mom and the kids had come to Scott's house. We had explained to Morgan that Scott was someone important to me. She seemed to understand and took it a lot better then her brother did.

It was like life was starting to fall into place. Eric and I weren't best friends or anything. But I think we both had a respectful understanding about each other, we didn't spend every day together, but I went to all his games, and whenever I came over to their house he made it a point to say hi, which was more then I could ever ask for.

"I think he'll be ok," Scott said as we laid side by side in bed together one night. His head on my chest as I laid with my eyes closed, fingers running through his wild hair.

"I hope so..." I sighed, my other hand holding onto his that was pressed to my chest. "I worry about him."

"I know you do doc," He mumbled, sleep not far from either of us. "That's what dads do."

I smiled, holding his hand tighter in mine. "Hey, Scott."

"Hey Sidney." we chuckled a little, then let out sleepy sighs. "I love you doc," Scott whispered, his voice faint, his breathing going even in no time, telling me that sleep had caught up to him.

My heart beat faster, those words hit me hard. They were everything I wanted to hear him say, and here he was, asleep before I could say it back. "I love you too kid," I said, even though he didn't hear me.

Or maybe he did because it was almost like he moved closer to me as the words pressed my lips.

And I was grateful. So, so grateful for Scott. Because if it wasn't for him. I didn't know where I would be.

 I didn't know where I would be