{FOURTEEN}

{FOURTEEN}

Where have you been!? I was worried sick about you?" Janet was quick to jump me when I got home, she was sitting in the living room with her phone in her hand, the same phone I had just called four times and had gotten no answer.

"I'm sorry, I forgot about the meeting. I went out for supper with a few work friends." I hung up my jacket, looking down at my wife.

My wife.

I was just out kissing another person, a man no less. And here she was, worried about me at home not knowing where I was.

"You should have called, I thought you be-" I grabbed her, pulling her close to my chest, her words stopped as I held her. I didn't want her to see my face, see how hard I was fighting with myself. I rested my head on hers, my head just above her ear as I took a deep breath, breathing her in.

"I'm sorry, ok? How was the meeting? How's Morgan doing in school. Passing everything?"

Janet looked up at me, blinking a few times before stepping back and straightening herself out. "Yeah, she's doing great. They wanted to have the meeting because they're having scouts come to the next school soccer match, they think she's a fit for the summer program team."

"That's awesome, I'm sure she's over the moon about that."

She smiled, moving towards the stairs. "She's pretty happy about it. She can't wait to tell you, so act surprised tomorrow when she does, ok?"

"Cross my heart and hope to die."

"He called me about twenty times, then showed up at my place, I wouldn't let him in so the doorman had to call security

"He called me about twenty times, then showed up at my place, I wouldn't let him in so the doorman had to call security. Then he started texting me." Scott rolled his eyes dramatically, "I almost thought I'd find him sleeping beside my car this morning. It was ridiculous." I smiled at him over my lunch. Janet had made spaghetti last night before the meeting, and she thankfully saved me some.

"I would offer you my couch, but you know. Two kids." And a wife.

"Yeah, I meant to ask about them. How old are they?"

"Morgan's thirteen, Eric is seventeen. You kind of met him already at-"

"The movies, ah. Not your brother then." He gave me his charming smile and his small chuckle.

"Yeah, that was Eric. He's also going to be at the hockey game. I was trying to tell you but, you kind of don't shut up." He nodded, a smirk on his lips as he drank from a straw.

"Yeah," He swallowed. "I've been told that before."

"Not surprised," I grinned. "He's a good kid. He's going through a lot right now. But I promise you, if he's rude to you it means he likes you." Scott laughed, shaking his head.

"Sounds like me as a teenager." He stood up, getting his satchel. "I'll see you tomorrow then. You picking me up, or want me to meet at yours..?" He stretched the last bit out as if he knew I'd automatically tell him I'd give him a lift.

"I'll pick you up, You might have to ride back seat though."

"Backseat bitch, my favourite." He joked, giving me a wink as he walked passed. "See you Doc."

"Move to the back

"Move to the back."

"No."

"Move to the back."

"No."

"Eric."

"Dad."

I groaned, throwing my head back of the car. We hadn't even left the driveway and I was already regretting all of this. "Fine, but he rides the front of the way home."

"Not his car."

"Not yours either. Listen, it's just common courtesy, you'll understand that when you get older and have manners."

Eric rolled his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest as I started to drive. I had told him we were picking a friend of mine up for the hockey game last night at dinner, and ever since then, Eric was a little on edge. It could be due to the fact he invited one of his friends. But hey, I'm the father, get your friend to buy his own ticket and I'll gladly let him sit with us.

It didn't go over well with him, I just hoped it didn't ruin his mood for the whole game. We pulled up to Scott's apartment building and waited for a couple of minutes before he finally game out, Jersy and glasses on, with his hair neatly done on the top of his head. He got into the car with a grin on his face, planting himself in the middle seat. "Hey, sorry if I kept you waiting."

"No, no waiting at all, Scott, this is my son Eric. Eric this is Scott, my co-worker."

"Nice to meet you man," Scott greeted, holding a hand to Eric, who just rolled his eyes and gave Scott's hand a little tap before turning back to his phone. I just shrugged, looking at Scott from the rearview mirror. He just smiled at me, sitting back in his seat.

The ride was quiet, Eric stayed on his phone, and Scott was on and off his, sometimes shaking his head at whatever was on the screen.

I wanted this friendship with Scott to work out, just needed to set rules. And so far so good. Or at least that's what I had thought. Once the three of us had sat down in the arena, I had made sure the seat myself in the middle of the two. Halfway through the second period Eric got up, mumbling that he had to go to the bathroom, He seemed to be having a good time, he and Scott were getting along, they even joked about a few things together, but I could tell he was trying not to like him, he didn't want to be friends with my friends, and I could get that. Once Eric was gone through, Scott planted his hand on my thigh and gave it a small squeeze and it took everything in me not to jump out of my sink at his touch.

"He seems like a great kid," Scott said, leaning into me so I could hear him over the crowd. He lifted his hand, and I couldn't help the sigh that passed my lips.

"He is, listen," I took a deep breath. "Scott, I really like you. I do, but things on my end, it's complicated."

"Oh?" He blinked a few times, looking me over before giving a small smile. "It's cool Sid. Don't worry about it. I overstepped, I get it."

"Scott I-"

"Oh, stop." He smiled. "We'll talk about it when we're alone, yeah?"

"Yeah," I mumbled, this was going to be harder then I thought.