Phase 1, part 3

Three boring days pass since the day I started to think about buying a Castaway

I pretty much ignored them in the past, but now, I try to focus on Champions I see in the streets. There are several reliable ways to distinguish them. They usually have artificial body parts and pigment scars on their skin, even though some Champions prefer having them removed in a simple medical procedure. They also seem, I don't know how to put it exactly, more prideful than the Healthy, judging from their posture and the way they walk. And finally, they all wear a badge proving their connection to the Neoclash association. They always wear them since it provides them discount or other benefits in some stores.

They are often seen with their owners. But the most important thing is that sheer majority of Champions I encounter look pretty wealthy. They wear fashionable, branded clothes, females (both Champions and partners) are fond of stylish jewelery, they often own the latest pentops and drive nice, shiny cars.

That means getting money with Champion's help can't be that hard, right?

I start realizing that risking everything with a Champion can be my last hope. Even if betting on Neoclash brings me some money, it would never be enough.

Seventh of February is the day I finally decide. I'm gonna visit a Castaway market and come back with my future Champion who will hopefully make me a fortune.

I descend into my lab once again. In a different strongbox, I have something I've been saving since I returned from DIANA. It's an emergency cashcard I swore I'd use only when the things will go to the biggest, most smelly shit. Is it now? Even if it wasn't, my current financial situation without this cashcard wouldn't allow me to buy even the worst Castaway available.

I look at the cashcard. Above the name BRIDGER, Ryan, there is a small e-ink display that shows me the balance remaining on the card. Now it shows me ꝶ930.

Not even a thousand royals. That's still way too little. Maybe I should take it and invest into something. The stocks of AVIA are always a viable option since it's the fastest-growing company for more than ten years already. But investing would take way too long.

"It's now or never, Ryan," I tell myself. "Enough living this idle life. It's time to take action. And if I end up even more miserable than now, I can say at least I got my ass off the couch and did something."

Besides that, I already feel a soft tingling of excitement in my stomach. The world of Neoclash seems so distant, a Mount Olympus above me, a pitiful mortal. To think I could join it... meet the most famous Champions, root for my own Champion in battle...

I've never wanted something so badly in my life.

I put the cashcard into my wallet (there are cash and coins of royals, but sheer majority of transactions is made via cashcards) and visit my wardrobe to get ready for the journey.