Phase 12, part 4

Arena configuration complete

Arena configuration complete. INF system active. Champions on their spots. Ten seconds for preparation remaining.

Get ready. Begin.

I observe Maverick's body language as we play the waiting game. It won't take long until he enters his frenzy state. I'm paralyzed both by cold and fear, even though I try to fight it. Zoya is watching.

Damn. I've come to the point my main motivation is a girl who can never understand my feelings, the less return them. But every motivation counts, I guess, especially when my opponent, approaching me slowly, is one of the most dangerous Champions I've encountered.

He keeps his eyes on me, hesitant to attack. How so? After the signal, he usually bursts forward to immediately pulverize the opponent. However, he seems more careful now. Is it because of the slippery ice on the ground? Or did he rethink his strategy since it's now or never?

Then, I get an idea. Since he hesitates to attack... I can take the chance.

The ground below me is covered by snow, so it's not that slippery. Without any warning, I snap my fingers and attack. I jump up and grab Maverick's face with my electric hand. I hear satisfying cracking combined with Maverick's scream. He tries to shake me off, but it's too late.

___|__X | Duchess | Maverick | ___|___

The electricity melted the ice underneath Maverick, revealing a darker base of the arena. Well, I've seen different reactions to my shock, but Maverick acts... strange. He just kinda staggers around, pants heavily and in the end, he slips on the ice and falls down.

I remember his fight with Maria. Why does he react to electricity like this?

He is still squirming on the ground. I carefully approach him, trying to comprehend the pain in his eyes. "Are you... alright?" I ask. Champions usually don't do that, but this time, I can't help myself.

Suddenly, Maverick's hand shoots forward, grabs the ankle of my artificial leg and pulls me to the ground next to him. However, his squirming wasn't a deception. It's clear this move cost him most of his power. "Hey, little one," he whispers to me. "I know asking you for this is not fair, but... you have no idea how dangerous are these electric hands of yours to me."

I see no trace of beserker rage or coldness in his eyes, only pain and honesty. It partially makes me understand Zoya's choice to stay with him. His voice is hoarse and rough, yet calm. "Another shock like this can kill me. Please, don't use them. I already almost didn't make it after my fight with Devotee. I can't force you into anything. Just please consider it."

"How can I know you aren't just trying to get me rid of my most powerful weapon?"

Maverick gives me a sad smile. "If you want to test it, then go on. However, out of the possible opponents, you were the one I wanted the least. But here we are. Life is ironic."