Phase 4, part 4

I find Zoya inside, in the living room

I find Zoya inside, in the living room. It seems she gave up her training completely. She lies on the couch with a pack of potato chips, watching a stupid sitcom on TV. Sometimes, she gives an unconvincing smirk. It's strange since she usually laughs out loud even at the stupidest things.

"Hi, Ryan. Good to have you back," she says.

"Can I... turn it off now?" I ask. "I have something important to ask you."

"AVIA, turn off the TV," Zoya commands and the intelligent system obeys. She sits straight, allowing me to sit next to her. "If you want to persuade me to keep fighting, don't even try," Zoya mutters, observing the floor. "I've been thinking about it for a long time, too. I'm not a fighter. What's a fighter who can't endure even one direct hit? I'm too afraid of pain. And I'm sorry I didn't realize it earlier."

"The thing is," I reply, "there is a thing that can greatly increase your endurance. Immediately. You'll be able to withstand even powerful blows without collapsing."

Zoya frowns. "Sounds too good to be true."

"It's called an Augment. It's a special serum which alters the Castaway's DNA to change some of their traits. Augment can make you stronger, faster, more resilient, accelerate your reflexes. You can either magnify your biggest strength or cover your biggest weakness."

"Where's the catch?"

"I was getting there," I sigh. "Well, the truth is... Augments mess up your DNA. When you take one or two, nothing happens. But those who overdosed on Augments usually didn't end well. The person they used to be disappeared. And sometimes, health problems kicked in."

"Oh, I see," Zoya mutters. "So... what happens when I take one?"

"It shouldn't have any side effects even though you are rather small. I wouldn't risk giving you a second one, but you should be able to accept the first one well."

"I hear too many shoulds," she raises her eyebrow. "I want to hear it loud and clear. Is it dangerous?"

"No," I reply. "Your body only has to accept the Augment. You will probably feel sick for a few days after taking it. But it always goes away. I'm not gonna lie, for someone your size, it would be probaby a torture. But if you endure it, you'll be able to try Neoclash again."

"I'm not sure if I want to fight anymore."

I grab her hand, realizing it's still shaking a little. "I can't force you and I'm aware of that. But remember your joy of training, your resolve. And me. You are the most ambitious person I've ever met and I think you'd regret it later if you gave up now. Please, think about it."

Zoya hesitates a bit. "I will," she says in the end.

I let the idea ripen until morning. I hope Zoya also thought about it before she went to sleep. I was being as sincere as I could - now she knows about all possible threats and downsides. It's up to her if she finds the pros to be worth it.