Phase 11, part 2

I can't sleep at night

I can't sleep at night. I still hear Isaiah's tormented scream as he fell into the energy beam. What happened? The Neoclash association members confirmed the INF system was active when it happened. Maybe everything was manipulated by that nasty red-haired henchwoman of Nightingale, Julia, but I doubt she'd be able to do such a complex operation by herself.

Did someone attempt to kill Isaiah again? It doesn't seem so, but what if?

My mind is full of worries. Is Isaiah alive? If he died after the shock, the last thing I told him would be I hate you. I didn't mean it. Maybe I did... hell, I have no idea! One thing is for sure, I never wanted him to die.

As soon as the sun rises, I run to the hospital ward of the stadium. It's only a small infirmary with several rooms as accidents don't happen frequently during Neoclash tournaments - and if it happens, it's usually wievers who suffered minor injuries after they drank too much beer.

I bang on the door until one of the medics opens. "Maverick," I burst out. "Is he okay?"

"Yeah... he will be," the young doctor replies. "But we can't share any more information. I'm sorry."

I let out a sigh full of relief. "Thank God..."

So they know what happened to him. But it seems that both Isaiah and his partner like to keep it secret. As I jog around the stadium, I try to figure it out myself. The collapse was triggered by a strong electric shock. What could it be? A heart attack?

I no longer have a heart...

Isaiah's eerie statement still haunts my mind.

I try to forget about Isaiah and think about today's finale. Devotee, Teerawk, Comette. To win, I'll have to overcome two of them. Which ones would I choose? At this point, we are all more or less equally powerful. Damn, I have to pull myself together. Now it's the best opportunity to earn the golden badge and qualify into the European Neoclash Showdown. Now or never.

The rest of our gang decided to stay as spectators - the Champions eliminated in the final rounds can stay until the end of the tournament for free. When I return from the jog, Svetlana, Sotiris and all the partners are already in our temporary house.

"I'm sorry about Isaiah," Sotiris tells me.

"He'll be alright," I say and drink half a litre of water at once. "And after all, I don't care about him anymore. No matter what was between us back then, it's gone now."

"Don't lie to us," Katerina says. "You do care. I see it in your eyes. I can sense a genuinely caring person. Sotiris, Helena. And you too, Zoya."

"I don't want to talk about it anymore."

It seems everyone decided to respect my request. Even though I try hard to let Isaiah go, it's still a sensitive spot. A distraction comes from Svetlana: "You have to make our gang proud!" she cheers. "Go to the arena, kick their asses and don't return without the golden badge!"