Chapter 42 | His Comfort

金 张 伟

┊⠀┊⠀┊

┊⠀♔⠀┊

┊⠀⠀⠀ ♚

♚⠀⠀⠀⠀

Jin Zhang Wei

Why is Ying Yue up? She should be resting--

"What is the meaning of this?" Zhang Wei demanded, stepping inside with a raised eyebrow as everyone gradually became silent.

Ying Yue's eyes widened at the sight of her husband as she immediately dropped the younger woman to the ground. For a moment, the two stared at each other without a word until she cleared her throat.

"...Attempting to kill your own child is a serious offense, isn't it?" She gave Ji Li a pointed stare of anger.

His eyes darkened at her words as he stepped closer to Ji Li, glaring down at her position on the ground as she fought not to meet his gaze. There was a sudden shuffling sound coming from a small bundle which lay on the bed, Zhang Wei observing the sleeping child through the corner of his eye. As he spotted a small, red cut across the child's face, it only fuelled his internal rage.

"...Is this the extent you'll go through for power, Ji Li...?" he questioned in a disappointed tone which masked his calm anger.

The young woman looked down at the ground, her hair covering her expression. "...I never wanted the child," she was forced to admit, "It...was a burden."

There was a collective gasp throughout the room, Zhang Wei placing an arm out as Ying Yue attempted to step forward. Meeting his serious gaze, she gave a slow nod of resignation in the understanding that he would take care of the situation.

"...Then..." he continued speaking, "...Because you have no need for your own child's existence, I suppose I'll have no use for yours."

She immediately understood the implication of his words, her face paling as her eyes welled with crocodile tears. Ji Li forced her weak body to kneel down, groveling by his feet. "Wait, Zhang Wei--! Please...Please don't do this to me--!"

"Really? I find no reason why I shouldn't take action." He turned his head over his shoulder and nodded at two guards to come over.

Ji Li looked up at him with a pleading expression, yet he felt no sympathy for the damn woman. "Zhang Wei! I...I know what I did was wrong! But--!"

"...You don't want to die?" He raised an eyebrow with a sigh. "Then, cut off her arms and throw her body in the mountains. This is an order."

"No! Wait!"

He looked away from her in disgust as his guards immediately seized her, Ji Li squirming in their grip with useless protests.

"Our relationship was never the same after you made your choice that day. Goodbye, Ji Li. Perhaps you can reflect on your actions better living as a cripple for the rest of your life."

Everyone immediately left the room afterwards at the finality of his tone, leaving him with his wife in silence.

"...You should head back to your room--"

"Hm. But I feel--" She suddenly let out a low curse as she tripped, Zhang Wei immediately wrapping an arm around her waist to steady her trembling body.

"...Fine?" he smirked with a warm expression as she leaned against him for support, growling at him in her embarrassment. Zhang Wei let out a low chuckle, helping her over to the sleeping child.