Stranger

Tom carried my duffle bag over his shoulder, as i rolled my suitcase down the sidewalk.

It still felt a bit weird, that I was walking with a man I just met. But, it wasn't uncomfortable. Tom was actually helpful and we never had a quiet moment.

He told me a few tips about London. Like how some people could be very nice, and others, not so much. He told me which cafes make the best coffee and tea. And he even taught me a few tricks on not getting lost. That seemed to be the most talked-about subject.

He probably thought I was some idiot, who didn't know a thing.

But he was nice about it.

As we walked, he kept on looking down to my luggage. "So, why did you move to London?"

I sighed. Thinking of what to say. Should I tell him that its because of work? Or should I tell him the real reason? The real reason was to get away from John, and start a better life without him. To try.

"Just a new start." I replied.

He grinned. "May I ask why you need to start over?"

"Its a long story." I looked away, trying not to make eye contact. Every time I did, I lost my train of thought.

"Well, I have time." He said, eagerly.

Why did he want to know so bad? I took a deep breath. "Its something I don't feel comfortable talking about with a man I just met."

He nodded. "Point taken. No more questions. I'm sorry."

I finally looked at him. "Its okay. I just, don't want to talk about me, how about you? How long have you lived in London?"

He smiled. Probably wondering why I wanted to change the subject. "Well, basically all my life. I travel from time to time, but for the most part, London has been my home since as long as I can remember."

"That's amazing. I would love to have grown up in a beautiful setting like London." I said, while looking up at the buildings.

"Yeah, it was pretty great." He looked over to me. "So, you really don't know who I am?"

His question confused me. I shook my head. "No, we just met..."

He laughed softly.

"What?" I asked, still completely confused.

He smiled. "Nothing."

I really wanted to know, but I also didn't want to come off too pushy.

What did he mean by that question? Maybe I met him before, and I just don't remember. I don't know.

I let it go and continued walking. As we walked, I was so tempted to take out my camera for more pictures, but I didn't. And I couldn't. My camera was in the duffle bag that Tom was carrying.

-

-

We finally got there. My feet were killing me. And I was exhausted.

It was a nice building.

I stopped in front of the building to take the piece of paper back out. I needed to know what floor I was on.

I was on the third floor. Of course.

Luckily, there was an elevator.

Tom walked with me up. I stopped at my door, took the key out, and opened it. The apartment was very nice. Beautiful, yet compact. It was perfect for a single woman, living alone.

I turned around to face Tom, as he placed the duffle bag gently on the floor next to my suitcase.

"Thank you, for everything tonight. You probably had better plans, and I probably ruined them." I said.

He shook his head. "No problem. And, to be honest, this was the most fun I've had in a while."

I laughed. "Carrying a strangers bags to her new apartment, walking 10 blocks. That was fun?"

He grinned. "Okay, it was a little exhausting. But I liked talking to you."

I smiled. Surprised by his comment. "Thank you. I enjoyed talking to you too."

For a few seconds, he just stared at me, as if he was waiting for me to say more. He quickly snapped out of it. "Well, goodnight Ariana. It was nice meeting you."

"You too Tom, goodnight." I said, walking him to the door.

Just before he got to the door, he turned back around to face me, as he reached into his jacket pocket. "Okay, this is going to come off a bit odd, but I'm going to give you my number."

My eyes widened. "Oh, no thank you. I really can't take that."

He looked at me. "Its only if you ever need anything. I could help you."

"I'm fine, I promise." I said.

He sighed. "Okay Ariana. I'm going to say goodnight to you. Then, you are going to shut the door. After that, I'm going to slip my number under your door. Now, what you do with it, is up to you. You can throw it away, or you can keep it, just in case you need me for anything." He grinned. "Goodnight Ariana."

I smirked. "Goodnight Tom." And I shut the door.

I backed up from the door, waiting. A few seconds later, Tom slipped his number under my door. I covered my mouth, trying not have him hear me laugh.

Then I heard his voice from the hallway. "Don't get lost, stranger."