Let it Burn

As the Art Show drew closer and closer, I became more and more nervous.

The thought of my photos being seen by so many people, the thought of getting feedback on my work by major photographers, it terrified me.

As scared as I was, Tom would always reassure me. Part of the reason why I was happy for him to be my 'date' to the Art Show, was because he always reassured me.

He kept me from thinking of the worst. He saved me from drowning in my own fear. He was my life support. In more ways than one. That's why having him with me is going to make it much easier.

Tom and I had spent everyday together since the night I gave him his invitation to the Art Show. I let him stay over when he could. And during the days, we'd go out and take more photos together. Or should I say... I took photos, while he watched.

I thought that once he took one photo, that Tom would begin to use his camera more. But I was wrong. The only time he used his camera, was on me. I was his right picture. His only picture.

The night before the Art Show, I invited Tom to stay over my house. I figured he'd want to. Considering the fact that we had to leave together anyways. And his tux and everything was already at my house.

He didn't want to. He said that in order to make the 'date' perfect, he'd have to leave for the night and pick me up tomorrow. So I didn't argue. And I watched as he picked up his coat and walked to the door.

To be honest. I was kind of excited. No one has ever tried to surprise me the way Tom wants to. No one has ever tried this hard, on me. Not even John.

John began escaping my mind more and more each day. I remember us. Our relationship. But now, all I remember about it, is the way he hurt me.

I don't remember the good times with him, because they don't matter. None of the good times matter to me. Because all of those good memories, ended up bad. And in the end, he stopped loving me. John never gave me a fairytale. A happily ever after. So why am I still holding on to him?

That exact thought, gave me an idea.

Before Tom had the chance to slip into his coat and say goodbye to me, I stopped him. "Wait." I demanded.

Tom stopped and looked down at me with curiosity. "Yeah?"

I didn't say anything for a moment. I was debating if the choice I was going to make, was worth making. I came to the conclusion that it was worth it. That's its about time that...I let go.

"What is it Ari?" Tom said, grabbing my attention once again.

"Can you help me with one thing, before you leave?" I asked.

He nodded. "You know I will. What would you like help with?"

I turned my back on Tom, walking toward the closet. I opened the closet door. Avoiding eye contact with my fathers box, and grabbing the box labeled 'John'.

I brought it over to Tom and dropped it by our feet. "Help me get rid of it? All of it."

Tom stared at the box before looking back up to me. His eyes narrowed and his lips curled. He studied my face. "Are you sure you're ready?"

I took a deep breath. "Yeah. He's not mine anymore. So why should I keep the memory of him?"

Tom nodded slowly. "That's true." He said. "Okay, let's get started." He walked over to the kitchen and grabbed the metal waste basket that I had. He took the trash bag out and filled the waste basket with a little bit of water. He carried the waste basket over and set it down beside the box.