Chapter 7 - Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

It had been days since he had been allowed to see Merlin and Arthur had thrown himself into his duties, but it could not stop the ache in his chest. He checked with Gaius at least three times a day about how Merlin was and he knew that Merlin was slowly becoming stronger. That was not enough, though, he needed to see with his own eyes and he knew there was only one way that was ever going to happen. His father was the only one who could give permission.

"Father," he greeted, walking into his father's private chambers, away from the prying eyes of the court, "may we speak?"

Arthur knew he was proud; it was how he had been brought up, but he was ready to put that pride aside and as his father looked at him he knew Uther saw it as well. Over the past few days most of their meetings had been cold and formal, but Arthur had decided that he had to put that away now.

"Come and sit down," his father said and the tone was not warm, but neither was it scathing.

It was more than he had been expecting; his father could be more stubborn than himself, and that was saying something.

"What is it you wish to speak to me about?" his father asked, even though Arthur was almost positive they both knew why he had come.

"Merlin," he said simply, since there was no hiding it.

He saw his father's expression close some as he spoke the name. Arthur knew Uther had visited Merlin at least twice, but he had no idea what his father had gained from those meetings.

"You show too much care for a servant," his father said, trying to sound dismissive, but not quite managing it.

"He is not just a servant, Father," Arthur had decided that plain speaking was all he had left; "he is my friend."

That made Uther frown.

"You are the crown prince," his father said firmly, "you cannot be friends with a commoner."

"Father, I have spoken to the older knights, I know that you were friends with a commoner," Arthur played the card he had kept hidden for a long time, one he had found when he had finally realised that Merlin was not really his manservant at all. "I have heard stories of the time before ..." he paused, knowing that he could be stepping over a line, "before the purge, when you were happier. Gaius was your friend then and I am sure he still considers himself your friend now, even though you do not allow it."

Surprisingly his speech did not throw his father into a temper, in fact his father just leant back in his chair and sighed.

"It can bring only pain," Uther said in a tired voice; "they are not the same as we. They live their lives by different rules."

For once he knew he was speaking to his father, not the king and Arthur's began to hope, just a little.

"I do not believe Merlin is like anyone I have ever met," he admitted honestly. "I can only guess, Father, but I believe you may think the same."

Uther gave him a warning look then and he knew he was close to the line.

"He is a sorcerer," Uther said, but there was no fire behind the words.

"I know, Father," Arthur replied with a nod, "I witnessed as well as anyone else, but I have seen sorcery before and I have been afraid, but when I saw this, I was not. I felt power in that room so powerful it should have scared me witless, but it did not, and I do not think it frightened you either, Father, or you would have had Merlin executed to safeguard Camelot no matter what I had said. I am not under a spell and Merlin could not possibly influence me from within that room and I still know that he is my friend."