Ch.20 Big City Bomb

Kunikida avoids Rashoumon's onslaught at the last possible moment and quickly fires back a series of shots. The shots come nowhere near hitting Akutagawa. It appears as if he was firing haphazardly in panic.

"I have no need to devour what will not hit me."

"I don't take pleasure in killing people." Kunikida replies.

"The ramblings of the weak..."

"Let me help!" I shout.

Kunikida had me standing on the sidelines. I hate this. It makes me feel useless.

"No. I'm going to show you I can handle myself."

"But, Kunikida-san-"

"Stop barking." Akutagawa orders me before he coughs a little. "You're useless to the agency. That is why your not allowed to help. Your useless to everyone you meet. You're even useless to Dazai-san, like he needs a copy."

Rashoumon targets me and wraps it's self around my neck as it lifts me off the ground. I can't breathe.

"Shiori!" Kunikida worries.

Catching him off guard, Rashoumon grabs Kunikida and lifts him off the ground as well.

"You're only in the way. You got your detective friend caught. You're nothing like Dazai-san, little copy. Once I kill you, he'll see just how useless you really are."

I can't stay awake for much longer. Watching me struggle for air, Kunikida frees his arms and fried his gun. The shots Kunikida had seemingly fired haphazardly before, hit a water pipe on the side of the building. Water bursts frim it, soaking Akutagawa.

"Doppo Poet!"

Akutagawa became aware of his actions a little too late.

"Stun gun!"

Kunikida tears a page from his journal and it transform into a stun gun. He switches it on and throws it.

"Get back on your leash, dog. Leave my colleague be."

The stun gun lands in the puddle of water, that was forming at Akutagawa's feet, sending an electric shock through his body. Rashoumon lets us go before the shock reaches us. Kunikida was instantly by my side, making sure I was okay as Akutagawa screams in pain.

But somehow, Akutagawa leaps away, and falls to his knees.

"So the Armed Detective Agency is not just a collection of fools. No wonder Dazai-san and the copy chose to hide there..."

Kunikida had his gun trained on him as he stood over him.

"Tell me something...the copy... She's completely useless, why did you save her?"

"She's not useless."

I look up at Kunikida.

"She's part of the agency for good reason. Sure, she can be a pain, and acts like that idiot Dazai, but she's never useless. I can tell she believes your words. But she shouldn't. Nothing you said about her was true."

"Kunikida-san..."

"Plus, I'm her superior. I have the responsibility of taking care of her and showing her the way. What kind of mentor would I be if I let her get hurt and call her useless all the time?"

I think...I'm going to cry. Kunikida has a soft side. I wish he would show this side more often. At that moment, the sounds of sirens could be heard. About time, Atsushi. 

"It looks like we are being interrupted. So be it. We shall cross paths again. This isn't over. And copy, the next time we meet. I will kill you."

"Not before...Dazai-san kills you." I grinned.