Chapter 11

CHRIS

            Mauville’s great palace was in chaos that evening.  Outside the sun was burning red; burning as if it was the herald to signal the Brightflame’s attack.  The great doors were accepting any citizen they could as the battle raged on the outskirts of the city.  Thankfully, a watchman on the northern wall of the city had blown his horn, signaling danger to the rest of the men in the city, when the first Flygon was but a speck in the distance.  Of course, after that, the rush of the Mt. Chimney army fell on Mauville city in less than an hour.  The commanders of Mauville’s city watch estimated their numbers at around five thousand. 

            Five thousand teleporting men, Prince Chris Marsh thought.  From reading his histories, he knew it was only a matter of time before the Brightflame’s used trickery and their tradition for intimidation fires against a foe.  Why didn’t I foresee this?

            Chris and Marshtomp had been nervously standing at the door, waiting for Ryan and Hector to come back through.  Ryan spent most of his time in town with some new girl that he had met.  Chris couldn’t remember what her family did for a living.  That didn’t matter now; the only thing that mattered was his friends. 

            The occasional report from the city guard brought back ill news as well.  Brightlame’s air force of Flygon and their riders were dropping bags of powder over the northern wall, and archers were lighting their arrows aflame to try and ignite them.  Chris was anxious, and Chris was never anxious.  He knew that while the walls still held back the Mt. Chimney Kingdom’s army, the couple hundred men of the city watch could hold them at bay.  If the Brightflame army got in, however, all hope was lost. 

            It was these tidings that made Chris turn away from the palace entrance, and force his way through the crowd of common folk towards the weaponry. 

            “Marshtomp?” asked Marshtomp, and Chris felt that his Spirit Pokemon meant: “we fight?”  Chris met Marshtomp’s eyes and nodded.

            “We’re going to find Ryan and Hector, and come straight back here.  Now hurry, boy, there’s no time.”

            Once free of the crowd, Chris came to the armory.  He quickly found his short sword and his spear, for protection.  He took off his blue tunic strapped his weapon holdings across his bare chest.  He had neglected to bring any armor from home for himself or his Spirit Pokémon, and why would he? By all accounts not even Mauville was prepared for this assault, though in hindsight, they should have been. 

            “No armor, boy,” Chris said as Marshtomp was looking for some good helmet that it or its partner could wear to protect themselves.  “It will only slow us down; our task is speed, not combat.”

            Marshtomp nodded solemnly.  Even if they came into a fight, Chris knew that he and Marshtomp would have the upper hand on any enemy that may face them.  Countless hours and days of combat training had prepared Chris and Marshtomp far better than most foot soldiers, and even battle commanders from any kingdom. 

            As they turned to walk out of the armory, Chris saw a shadow quickly dart past him.  He reached out and grabbed the thin, yet muscular arm.  He had expected Princess Sarah to come.

            “What are you doing?” he asked her.

            “I need my arrows; I didn’t make five hundred of them for nothing.”