Chapter 16

CHRIS

The hospital room was a wreck. The sheets of the two beds were in tatters, their wooden frames broken and splintered, and Swablu feathers from the pillows were still floating down to settle on the floor.

It's all a dream, he thought. If I go to sleep now I'll wake up on the beach back home in Slateport... This is all just a dream. In his heart he knew it wasn't however. His senses were too awake for it to be just a dream. His arm sent bolts of pain whenever he moved it in its linen sling.

The pain was nothing. His arm didn't bother him, it was the news he had received when he had woken up from his deep sleep. Chris Marsh knew that he must have been out for a few days, maybe a week.

He knew they had defeated the Mt. Chimney Kingdom's army. He knew his friend Ryan was dead. He knew Swampert had been captured in battle. Neither the loss of his friend or Spirit Pokémon could compare to the void in his heart caused by the most recent news. He knew his sister, Lily, was dead and his mother also.

Hector had been the first person he saw when he woke. The terror in his friend's eyes had let him know something was wrong.

He had sat up immediately. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"I-I'm sorry," Hector had stammered. "L-Lily and... Your mother... Dead." There was no hope in his demeanor. Deep down, Chris knew that it was true.

That was when Chris lost it, and Hector had fled in terror of the young King of Slateport's rage. Am I even a King? He wondered. If I can't even protect my own family, or my own Spirit Partner, how can I protect my people and Slateport's territories?

Chris had destroyed everything in his rage, and when sweat mingled with tears as the last pillow feather fell to the ground, Princess Sarah Spark slowly walked in. Manectric stood patiently and understandingly in the doorway.

"Chris?" she asked, step by step. "I want you to know that I'm here for you, and so is all of Mauville." She took another step. When she opened her mouth again, Chris interrupted her.

"Send for my uncle, Apollo," he said coldly, still panting from his anger. "He's still here, is he not?"

She bowed and said softly, "As you wish, my King."

As Princess Sarah walked out of the room and down the hall, Manectric eyed Chris sadly. I don't care if you're here for me, he thought bitterly. My sister is gone, murdered. And my mother... Only Apollo can understand... As he thought those thoughts, he quickly realized how uncontrollable his emotions had made him. He knew that whatever happened, it was good to have the Sparks and Mauville on his side.

His uncle solemnly walked into the wrecked room with Gallade by his side. Apollo had grown a short brown beard in his time commanding Slateport's forces, but his eyes were the same hazel as his mother's. In that instant, Chris fell into his uncle's arms, and let his unquenchable sorrow drain into Apollo's embrace. In his uncle's grasp, the years fell from him and he felt like a child again.

"I know, child," Apollo consoled. "I know."

"They're gone," Chris sobbed. "They're gone... They're gone... I should have stayed there with them... I could've-"

"You could've died as well, and there would be no more Marshes to rule over Slateport," his uncle said. Chris felt the Chief of Oldale take a deep breath. His voice was wobbly, but the composure of years as a battle commander proved strong as a ship in a storm. "Perhaps the fate has sent you here for another purpose... Perhaps it is your destiny to stay alive for some greater task. Besides, I don't think your mother is dead."

Chris looked up to meet Apollo's eyes again, and then he looked at Gallade. The Spirit Pokémon nodded in assurance. "So you're saying there's a chance?" He knew that Gallade and Gardevoir shared a special connection; they were twins themselves as well as Apollo and Luna. But Lily... He fell into tears again. Her egg will never hatch...

"I know it's hard, Chris," his uncle had taken off the face of the proud, cocky warrior, and he now donned the face of a caring uncle and counselor. "But you must remain focused. The enemy wants you angry. They want to rattle your cage and lead you into a mistake."

"How do I know this was the work of the Brightflames? How could they make it to Slateport, any spirit Pokémon they would have had with them would be of Fire. Have you had any word of piracy? Is there a ransom that needs to be paid?" Chris Marsh felt lost at sea, alone. "What should I do?" he asked, wiping a final tear from his eye.

Apollo put an arm around his shoulder and led him to his bed. "Stay here, until you're well. Marry Princess Sarah. Once the alliance has been consummated, the Spark's army under your command."

Chris slammed his fist onto what remained of the mattress. "They have Swampert, though. What if I marry her, only to go to sleep one night and not wake up because my Spirit Pokémon has been killed? I've had terrible nightmares, Uncle. I need Swampert with me."

Apollo gazed into his eyes. "There are steps being taken to secure Swampert." There was something else there, something he wasn't being let in on.

"And I suppose you think you're going to be the one to do it?"

"Who else? You and your broken arm? The bone hasn't fully healed yet. I've sent for my daughter and Kirlia, she has shown a natural gift for healing. She'll be here within the week." With that, Apollo stood up and began to walk towards the door. Chris wasn't done with him.

If I'm to be a King, he will take his leave when I dismiss him. "Who else is going? Don't lie to me, Uncle. Who else is going on the mission to correct my mistake in battle?"

Apollo put his hand on the doorframe and sighed. "Sarah's coming. We're to leave at the break of dawn."

"How can I marry a woman who's not even present?" sneered Chris. "You lied to me."

"Aye, I did," Apollo spoke in a whisper now. Gallade stared into Chris's eyes. "Our mission was secrecy. Nobody had to know-"

"There's been a change of plans," interrupted Chris. He was the King of Slateport, not Apollo. He would make the plans, not Apollo. He would correct his own mistakes, no one else. "I'm leaving to tomorrow with the party to get my own Spirit Partner back. I intend to send a message personally to the Brightflames."

Apollo turned in anger, but had no chance to speak.

Chris raised his voice. "And you're going to Slateport, Uncle, to rule in my stead and investigate for any clues, and take any action you deem necessary to rescue my mother, if you really believe she is alive." It was an unlikely hope, but still it was hope.

"That's an order," Chris finished with.

Apollo's eyes were shaking with fear and rage, but this was Chris's fight, Chris's responsibility. "And if there is no marriage because one or both of you should die? Shall two of the last sane Kingdoms lose their only heirs?"

"Sarah's not coming," Chris said. "I won't have anybody else's blood on my hands for my mistake. I'm going alone."

"This is madness," his uncle had forgotten his place and raised his voice at his King, though Chris was still his younger nephew. "You're not well, you must still be feeling the effects of the herbs."

"It's my command," Chris stood up, more determined than ever. "I'm going tomorrow at dawn."

"What of Sarah? What of your bride?" Chris could tell Apollo was grasping for whatever straw of reasoning he could try to use to his advantage.

"Keep her under guard, as well as Hector," he said. "I name you my heir until I should have a child. Now go."

"Your arm!" Apollo gestured madly at Chris's bandages.

Chris madly ripped off the cast and linen sling with his bare hand. He waved his arm around in his anger to show his uncle that nothing would stop him. "I'm fine. Go. Your King commands it."

Apollo bowed. "As you wish," was the last thing he said before he stalked out of the room.

Chris regretted taking the cast off as soon as Gallade disappeared behind Apollo. The pain made him fall to the floor. I don't care, he thought to himself. I going to do this.