Chapter 6 - Cincinnati - Allison Earlier

Allison left her mother's funeral an orphan. Her father passed two years earlier, a victim of the rioting between the abolitionists and the pro-slavery factions and she had no siblings. The two rooms she and her mother shared required a rent that Allison had no means of paying; almost all the remaining funds were necessary to see her mother didn't end up in a Potter's Field.

The meagre belongings left behind were bundled up for donation to The Sisters of Charity, a new home for the one remaining gown and few bits of jewellery, a pair of lace gloves Allison had never seen worn, shoes and a wicker knitting basket with some wool and an unfinished shawl. Her mother's jacket was too small for Allison and she checked the pockets before including it in the bundle - empty, much like her mother's life and now her own.

Her first consideration being on her own had been to find work to help keep a roof over her head and food in her stomach. In spite of the emerging business in the fast growing city, employment for a young single woman was difficult unless she opted for the many unsavoury opportunities available. Her income at several different locations doing menial tasks failed to provide enough for all her needs and the social life she craved diminished to a futile dream.

It was a notice in the local paper she happened to see that caught her attention and imagination. An advertisement for a marriage agency stating they professionally matched interested women with men looking for a bride to share the adventure of creating a new life of opportunity in the American west.

Curiosity drove Allison to visit the office of the agency and learn more about the prospect of becoming a mail order bride. It took her three visits to come to a decision. Learning all the tales of successful women who chose to accept the challenge of a new, fulfilling life. Details of the arrangements were explained by the eager, smiling agent and Allison filled out papers of contract, including payment of the modest fee eagerly scraped together to cover agency expenses. Her travel was arranged for her and was covered by the future husband applicant.

The match the agency suggested set her imagination racing; the image of a successful cattle ranch with a sprawling ranch house complete with a verandah and flowers surrounding the foundation. The picture of a stunning view across grassy range land dotted with grazing cattle was all she needed to send her starry-eyed on her way west.

Nine days later Allison had left her job, made another donation to the Sisters of Charity, packed everything else she owned into one large suitcase and boarded the train west. Eyes eager and fearful gazed at the passing landscape as the train moved into less and less populated country; moments of trepidation were repressed by the images she had been shown of her destination and excitement remained front and centre.

Parkerville

Walter Kirkland stood up from the desk and dusted the crumbs off his pants from the cake he was enjoying.

"Sheriff! Wasn't expectin' you back so soon."

"Apparently." Nathan hung his hat by the door and moved around to his chair, dusting off the cushion and blowing more wayward crumbs from his desk. "You do anything while I was away besides eat?"

"Nope. Real quiet. Some wanted posters came in and a letter from the Territory Marshal; I didn't open that."

"You could have, Walter, as Deputy in charge- you're in charge."

"I'm in charge?"

"Not any more . . . but thanks for fillin' in." Nathan scanned the posters and tore the end off the envelope. "No sign of Wellman at all?" He slipped out a couple of folded sheets and sat down to read.