Chapter 5: Paris

Alice POV***

Riding into Paris a sense of security fled over me. We had made it. I look in front to see the Musketeer I now know as Porthos. Feeling completely safe in his presence. I am yet to figure out how I am going to explain needing to go to the castle. I can see Katherine trying to get my attention, obviously worried about this detail of the plan as well.

"Welcome to Paris" the Musketeer Aramis states while smiling back at Katherine. She doesn't reply. Just smiles and looks down. Due to her lack of interaction with men, she doesn't really know how to communicate with them.

"Where does your family live, we will drop you off there?" Athos says while awaiting my reply.

"You can just drop us off here, we will walk the rest" I say and begin to try to dismount the horse.

"No honestly we insist" Athos states while giving me a reassuring smile.

"I don't know where my family's house is located, but my mother works at the castle. I said I would meet her there" I lie hoping I was convincing. I could tell them the truth, but I didn't want to risk it. I have never met these men before. And just because they were uniforms and appear friendly, does not mean I am completely safe telling them the truth.

"that's fine, we are heading there anyway. Which part of the castle does your mother work in?" D'Artagnan questions

"The kitchens I believe" I simply respond.

We arrive at the main entrance to the castle and Porthos immediately jumps off his horse with ease. I look down, not realising how tall this horse actually was in till this exact moment. I look back up to see Porthos smiling at me.

"Let me help you" he offers. As he gently holds my hips and picks me up off the horse, almost though like I'm a feather.

"Thank you" I simply thank him. While providing a small smile.

We go to walk into the castle, Katherine firmly next to me.

"Go down that hall there, it will lead directly to the kitchens" Athos states while pointing.

"Thank you all so much for your assistance" I say, grabbing Katherine and beginning to walk in the direction suggested.

"We may see each other around if you are staying in Paris" I hear Porthos shout. I turn around to face him.

"Yes, we may" I respond with a smile, then carry on walking. Noticing the confused look on Katherine's face.

"Why are we going to the kitchens?" she whispers

"We are not, just need to wait for them to clear the halls then we will go to the main hall where Louis will be" I state, while looking back to see if the musketeers had gone.

Porthos POV***

I watch as she walks down towards the kitchens, I knew this wouldn't be the last time I saw her. Myself and the men walk up to the main hall knowing Treville and the King will be awaiting our arrival. We will through the doors and I watch as Treville gives us a questioning look due to the lack of presence of the Princess.

"Please tell me, you didn't fail the King again" the Cardinal says while shaking his head in disappointment

"We ran into some difficulties" Athos states calmly

"What sort of difficulties?" Treville says

"We got to the compound where the Princess had been kept captive, to find all the men killed and the Princess nowhere to be found" Athos explains

"Go on" the Cardinal insists

"So we follow the tracks outside the compound into the woods, however the trail went cold and we stumble upon bandits" Athos continues, delaying the confirmation of our lack of success. He takes a breath and begins again.

"We ended up getting into a fight with the bandits, due to the women they were...." Athos was cut off by the furious King

"Enough, where is my Sister?" he says angrily.

Just then the main doors open behind us. We all turn round to see who has entered. I couldn't believe my eyes. The two women that travelled here with us. I gave them both a confused look.

"I am here Brother" the Brunette says simply. She gives me a small apologetic smile. So are you telling me the Princess rode all the way back to Paris on my horse and I didn't even know.

"Alice" the King says and runs to her. embracing her in a hug. Quickly to withdraw soon after.

"What are you wearing dear Sister?" the King states accompanied by a laugh while looking at the Princess's currently attire. The Princess turn's round to look at us.

"It was the musketeer's idea. They recused me from the bandits and suggested I change out of my formal wear. This why when travelling to Paris I would be safer due to not looking like a Princess. Your musketeers are brave and loyal Louis. I truly wouldn't have made it here without them" she says while presenting us with a smile. She's lying. Why would she do that? Endless she has something to hide.

"Well that's wonderful to hear, once again the musketeers have done their duty and been quite successful" the Queen states while giving us a smile. I look towards the Cardinal and see he looks rather angry.

"We are glad you are safe" he simply says to the Princess

"All thanks to the wonderful musketeers, Paris is lucky to have such fine men protecting it" the Princess states.

"Right then, Musketeers you are dismissed. Thank you for rescuing my sister. Your loyalty will not be forgotten" the King says as he takes the Princess's hand and walks her out the room. As she passes me, she gives me a smile. I knew I would be seeing her again. But believe me, I didn't expect this to be the reasoning.