BEGINNING

"Hello, you're speaking with-" I start to repeat the same greeting I answer every phone call with, but the sound of crying cuts me off. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah- shit, sorry. This really isn't manly."

His voice stuns me a little but I don't know why. It's just not often that I get a guy calling that isn't a creep or a complete weirdo. "I think it's admirable that you're crying and willing to seek help. Don't worry about being 'manly' here."

My response earns a quiet chuckle from the other end of the line.

"Thanks, reallyI'm sort of all over the place at the moment. I just broke up with my girlfriend and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do."

"Hold on, I'm confused. If you broke up with her then why are you so upset?"

"I love her. That's why."

The way he snaps at me causes me to tread more carefully.

"I apologise, I wasn't assuming that you didn't. I guess I'm just curious as to why you broke things off with her if you love her?" I ask, hoping I'm being more gentle than before.

"I found out she's been talking to other guys and have met up with a few of them."

"Maybe it was all innocent? Maybe they were just friends."

"I don't know about you but I don't send nudes to my friends and sext them. I also don't invite them over for kinky sex. Do you?"

I let out an 'oof' sound before replying, "Uh, no I don't. I'm sorry, that's so fudged up."

"Fudged up?"

"Yeah, I can't swear on these calls or at work in general since it's 'unprofessional' so I compromise." The full blown laugh I get in response brings a smile to my face. "Hey! I gotta let it out somehow, you know?" I laugh with him.

"Sure."

After the laughing calms down, I ask the question I'm almost nervous to know the answer to, "If you don't mind me asking, how long were you two together for?"

Silence. A solid two minutes pass and just when I'm about to ask if he's still there, he replies.

"Almost five years. Closer to four and a half."

Well, how about that. That's the answer I was nervous about.

♡♡♡

AN: Part Two of this chapter/call coming soon 😉