|Fourty-One|

Dante closed the door behind me, the sound resonating around the silent house, making me feel lonely and discarded. I embraced myself taking in the darkness as i shuffled towards the wall where the switch board was.

Turning on the lights, I looked around the familiar house, as the familiar feeling set in me- alone and scared.

Why did i expect when i asked Xerxes that question? That he'd be considerate of my feelings and let Lisa go? How foolish.

He wasn't even ready to hear me out as he ordered Dante and Thomas to take me home, after answering to my question. I had so many unasked questions, unanswered, unexplained.

With a heavy heart and heavy steps, my legs carried me towards the stairs, as i took a step, i felt a presence behind before i heard his voice.

"Luna."

My back straighten at the voice and my heart was beating faster than it normally did, even Vivi was anxious with his presence.

Bracing myself, i turned to face him and gave him a nod acknowledging his presence. "Nickolai."

His head tilted as he regarded me under the dim lights along the wall of the stairs. His eyes glowing in the dark, studying my every action without another word.

"Do you need something?" My voice was calm and collected or that's how i tried to appear.

I wasn't still used to Xerxes' brothers presence around the house. But was thankful that i hardly run in with them as they're busy with whatever Xerxes had in mind for them.

Nevertheless, there were some rare occasions where i end up running in on them, like this one. Armenes was probably the only one, i was warming up to and vice versa, he was easy to get along with but the rest, i wasn't so comfortable with.

Patiently, i waited for Nickolai to say something but he didn't, he kept staring which bothered me.

"Um..." His stare made me feel uncomfortable, it was like he was staring right into my soul, reading my inner thoughts. I remembered what Xerxes told me, Nickolai's ability was, he can take away people's memory. Can he read mind too?

"If you don't have anything important to say, I'd like to head to bed." I told him politely and made a move to turn away. He still didn't utter a word, making me confused why he called me then in the first place.

When i was four steps away from him, i heard his voice, low and melancholic.

"Wherever you go, trouble follows."

I whipped around, facing him once again. He was still staring at me, his eyes unwavering and set on mine.

"W-what do you mean?" His words made me question myself.

He took a step, then another until he stood two steps away from me. His height still crossing mine as he gazed down at me, his eyes piercing into my soul. "You were kidnapped at the age of fourteen since then you lived a sheltered life, you had minimum to no contact with the outside world, you have no friends and now, you're a mate of an Alpha King." He went on, his eyes unflinching, unapologetic, his tone monotonous and balanced.

"How do you know..." Whatever he mentioned was true. My mind was hazy with all the questions that swirled around it, how did he know so much about me? Who told him? How did he know about my kidnapping?

"If one reason wasn't enough for them to attack you, you gave them another by being Xerxes' mate." His tone was leveled, there was no hate, no judgment, his face emotionless.

"I don't understand what you're trying to say." Tension coiled in me, who was he? Why did he know so much? Who are 'them' he mentioned? Whose trying to attack me?