12. Matchmaker

12. Matchmaker

The elevator dinged after a few moments, and the doors opened. I stepped out as another person stepped on. We exchanged half smiles as we passed. The doors shut and I walked down the hall. I raised my hand and knocked one, two, three times, before I stepped back and waited.

I heard the meows of Gizmo before I heard footsteps. When the door opened, Gizmo squeezed past and to me, making figure 8's around my legs. I bent down and picked him up, listening to his soft purrs.

"Hey." Sal said, opening the door all the way. He had on an old school shirt and a pair of basketball shorts. He stepped back and I walked in. He shut the door behind me, and I set Gizmo down.

"What did you need?" I asked. Sal called me about an hour ago, urging me to come over. I was slightly aggravated because it was 7:30 on a Saturday morning.

"Well," He started. "Todd finally finished the Gear Boy and I wanted to know if you wanted to go up to the 5th floor with me?"

I narrowed my eyes, "You mean to tell me, that you called me at 7:30 in the morning, to go up to the abandoned floor of your apartment building, with a old video game console with walkie-talkie pieces taped onto it?"

"Yes."

I flopped on the couch, "Sally James Fisher-"

"My middle name isn't James."  He interrupted.

"It is now." I said. "Why would you call me at 7:30?" I questioned, pulling the throw blanket on my body, curling into a ball. "I was asleep."

"Because I thought it would be fun!" He exclaimed, grabbing the blanket, ripping it from my grasp, tossing it across the room.

I looked up at him. "Oh, yes. Abandoned floor, or sleep?" I said, rasing my hands in a comparison manner.

He groaned, "C'mon! Let's go!"

I sighed, standing up, "Okay, fine." He cheered and we walked to the door. He shut the light off and locked the door. Ten steps from his door was the elevator. He pressed the button and the doors opened seconds later. Inside a low volume song greeted us. It was some 70's rock song.

5 lit up as he pressed the button, the elevator took a moment before rising one floor. Again, it took a minute before opening. When it did, I was shocked at the smell of musk and dead animals.

"What the fuck?" I looked around, holding my nose shut. "Sal are you going to murder me?"

He was turning the Gear Boy on and he looked over at me, puzzled, "Why would you think that?"

"Well, it smells like someone's dead up here already." I said, putting my shirt over my nose, trying to mask the smell in anyway.

"Oh, well if I wasn't in to kill you it wouldn't be here." He took off to the left and went to a door that was slightly open.

"Thanks?" The door creaked as we opened it the rest of the way. The smell in this room wasn't as bad as the hallway, but it was still a musky smell. It was dark in here. This apartment had absolutely no windows.

I fumbled for a light switch, once my hand found one I flipped it on, but nothing happened. I tried a couple more times.

Sal laughed, "I don't think there's electricity up here anymore."

I grumbled, "I don't wanna be in the dark, can I turn my flashlight on?"

"Yeah." He laughed, finding with the Gear Boy. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and turned the flashlight on, shining it around. It seemed like a normal apartment, other than the fact it was old and decrepit.