35 . A Perfect Find

35. A Perfect Find
[Sal's POV]

"What!"

"Larry, shh!" I said, as people looked at us.

He grabbed me and pulled me into a big hug, "Dude! I'm so happy for you!" He exclaimed, "You two, I jus- ah!" He said, fumbling over his words. I struggled in his grasp. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Because, you know you can't keep a secret." I laughed. "But I figured if the secret was big enough, you would."

"Yeah!" He exclaimed, "I will! Don't worry about me! Did you ask her dad? What's Alex's duty? Who else knows?"

"Larry!" I laughed. "Dude, one question at a time!"

"Okay, well, did you ask her dad?"

°
I knocked on the front door of (Y/N)'s dad's house. She was at school, and I didn't work today. He opened after a few moments and smiled.

"Hey there, Sal. What brings you in the neighborhood?"

"Hey, uh, I had a few things I'd like to talk to you about." I said.

"You didn't get my daughter pregnant did you?" He asked.

I could feel my face burning, the mask not helping. "What? No! No, no, no." I said, shaking my head.

He chuckled, "Im just fucking with you! Come on in. Did you want something to drink?" He asked. I walked in past him and followed him into the kitchen.

"A water would be fine, thanks." I answered, sitting on a barstool at the kitchen island. He set a water in front of me and sat down beside me.

"So what did you want to talk about?" He asked, cracking open his can of beer.

"Well, okay. Uh, I'm not sure how to do this, or what to say." I sighed. "I really, really love your daughter. She's made me a better person all around. She makes me so happy and I'm just so lucky to have her in my life." He watched me, and I wondered if he knew what I was doing. "So, I guess I'm asking for your blessing. I'd like to ask your daughter to marry me." I said. "I will do whatever I can, and more, to love and care for her." I said.

He just smiled at me, not saying anything. His eyes started glistening as he pulled me in a hug. He patted my back and nodded. "Of course you have my blessing, Sal."

°

"Wow." Larry said, as I finished the story. He shook his head, "Sally dude, you're gonna make me cry!" We sat in the food court, munching on some snacks while we talked.

I laughed at him. "You always had that soft spot."

"When are you gonna do it?" He asked.

I shook my head, "That's a surprise. No one knows, and I don't really wanna tell anyone." I smiled to myself just thinking about it. "I hope she says yes."

"Did you save up money for a ring?" He asked.

"Yeah," I replied, "That's why I got that new job and started taking less classes. I've been looking online and I think I have the perfect one."

"Then let's go get it." He said.

"What?"

"Yeah!" He said. "While she's occupied, c'mon!" He stood up throwing his trash in the bin. He pulled out his phone and started typing. My phone dinged and I wanted to punch him when I saw what was on the screen.

Wedding Wagon
You, Larry, Alex

Larry: Alex, keep (Y/N) occupied, we're buying a ring!
Alex: hell yeah! Copy that!!
Me: I hate you Larry
Alex: I'll come up with a way to ask if she knows her ring size without being obvious, I'll let you know

°
"Hey, Alex." I whispered to the girl sitting next to me. "I need to tell you something." (Y/N) was chatting with her dad, and right now would be the best time I could get.

"What?" She said, leaning over towards me.

"You can't freak out, okay?" I said. She nodded in agreement and waited for me to continue. "I think I'm gonna ask (Y/N) to marry me."

"Aw!" She cooed, "That's awesome! I'm happy for you guys." She smiled.

"I need your help though." I added. "If you can find out anything for me, I'd appreciate it. You two are good friends, it shouldn't be too hard, right?"

She nodded, "Oh yeah, we talk about stuff like that all the time, isn't that what girls do?" I could hear the sarcasm but she chuckled, shaking her hand. "I can try and do some girl talk, just for you. So you want like her ring size and maybe a ring type?"

"Yeah, something like that." I said.

"Whatcha guys talking about?" (Y/N) said, laying her head on my shoulder.

"Nothing, really." I shrugged. She raised an eyebrow at me, more than likely not believing what I said.

"Didn't look like nothing." She replied. Looking back at Alex, then to me.

I patted her hand, "Babe, I promise. It was just some random chatting. What's up?"

"Dad wants to go on a family camping trip, if you wanna go?"

°

We entered the jewelry store and browsed around for a moment before someone greeted us.

"Hello!" She smiled, being overly happy to get that sale. She leaned over the counter and looked at the section we were looking at. "Is someone thinking of proposing?" She asked, looking up at us.

"Yes, actually." Larry grinned, pointing towards me. "He's gonna propose to his girlfriend, so we're here to pick the perfect ring!"

I rolled my eyes, "I can talk too, Larry." I laughed.

She laughed as well, "I'm Cleo, and I'll see what I can do to get you that perfect ring! So, tell me about her! What's she like? How'd you meet?"

"Her name is (Y/N). We met on the first day of senior year. She's sweet and funny, but I'm sure to hear that from everyone."

She chuckled, "Yeah, we do. Do you have a style preference? Do you know what she likes?"

I shook my head. "No, but our friend is trying to get that kind of information from her."

Cleo smiled, "Alright, then we will just start here."

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out and the Wedding Wagon group chat was up.

Alex: I got her ring size and here this. [Link attached] I stole her phone while she was in the bathroom.

Attached was her ring size and a link. I clicked on it and it lead me to a Pinterest board for wedding stuff. I looked through and noticed a lot of rings.

"My friend just sent me this." I said, sliding the phone across the glass counter. "Do you think you have any of these?"

Cleo looked through and nodded, smiling. "I think we do. Do you mind if I take this with me?" She asked, gesturing to my phone.

"Yeah, sure." I said. She nodded and walked off, gathering some rings. When she came back, Larry and I looked through some, he'd point out some he liked, and she would point out some popular ones. But I saw one that I thought (Y/N) would love. I picked it up in my fingers and twirled it around.

"That's a big seller." She said, giving me a little more information about it, not that I needed it. I was set on this one. When I told her, she smiled and took to to get packaged up.

We quickly put the deposit down and set everything up. We put it inside Larry's bag he got from the music store just as (Y/N) and Alex walked around the corner.