26. "Are You Fucking Crazy?!"

"What's this photo?" Sal asked, pointing to a photo on my photo board. I stood on a stage in front of a microphone.

"That's me at my 2nd grade spelling bee." I laughed, "I got 4th place."

"How about this one?" He asked, pointing to one of me in my band uniform.

"Freshman year band." I smiled, "I played trumpet."

We continued to talk about the photos and pointing at them throughout the few photo boards Ashely helped me make. My graduation party wasn't so extremely packed. It was my friends, Ashley's family, Larry and Sal's family, and a few of of my family members. Not many showed is since we lived a few states away.

My mom sat at a table, texting on her phone, almost the entire time. But, after awhile she got up and left.

"I hope she left for good." I said to Sal as she walked up the driveway and out to her car. We watched as she drove down the road and into the distance.

"Well, I hope so too." Sal said, wrapping his arm around my shoulder, hugging me close.

°
My party ended with a nice little fire. My friends and I, along with my dad, Henry, and Lisa, sat around the small fire pit roasting marshmallows and making s'mores.

"Oh, shit!" Todd yelped, as a flaming marshmallow fell off his stick and onto this shoe. We all chuckled as he stomped on his own foot, trying to extinguish the flame. "Im not all into this nature stuff."

"We can tell." Neil said, giving his boyfriend a kiss on the cheek. Todd's cheeks flushed a light pink, as he was still new to showing affection in front of the adults.

"Thanks for coming, everyone." I said, blowing the flame out, revealing a nice, crispy marshmallow underneath. "It's been a really good day."

"Anything for you, bug." My dad said, putting his arm around my shoulder. He put his hand on Sal's shoulder and squeezed it. "Thanks for helping this old man set up, Sal. I don't think I would have been able to get that tent in myself."

"Anytime." Sally said.

We continued to chat and eat s'mores. I got up and walked over to the cooler to grab a drink when I hear a car door slam shut, followed by another. I didn't think anything of it, as my neighbors were probably just getting home, or something.

I turned to walk back when a hand rested on my shoulder. I jumped and spun around, getting ready to punch a bitch, if I needed to.

And I should have.

I came face to face with my mother when I stopped. She looked frightened, looking down at my clenched fist. I relaxed slightly, but was still angry she was back.

"Yes?" I spat.

"I just went to get your graduation present." She said, giving me an offended look. "Look," she said, placing her hands on my shoulders. I tensed up under her touch. "I know I've spent all this time away from you. I'm sorry. Things happen and I just got caught in the moment."

The look in her eyes didn't say she was sorry. I rolled my eyes as she talked.

"I know what's best for you though. And I know you love that Sally guy, but he's just not good for you."

"And what makes you think that?" I asked, crossing my arms. "You haven't been around. You wouldn't know what was good for me if it smacked you in the ass."

"Don't you curse at me like that! Does your father just let you do that?"

"Yeah, he does."

She took a deep breath, "Anyway. Like I said, that Sally boy isn't good for you. Just look at him." She said, pointing to my blue haired boyfriend. I turned to look, to play along so she would leave. I watched as he put a half flaming marshmallow in his mouth before spitting it out in the grass as everyone laughed.

"Like, what the hell was that?" I rolled my eyes as she said it. "He's just a f-"

"I'm gonna stop you there, lady." I said. "If you call my boyfriend a freak one more time, I will kick you off my property."

She shook her head, "You'll thank me when you see your present." She smiled, "I went through your Instagram a couple months ago and decided that your life would be better if you were back with Derrick." She smiled, motioning for someone to walk towards her.

My face went white and I started to stumble backwards. "He's perfect for you, I don't understand why you two broke up in there first place."

He emerged from the darkness. "Hey, babe." He grinned. "Long time no see."

"Are you fucking crazy?!" I yelled, causing someone to stand up from the lawn chairs. My dad came up beside me and when he saw who was there, he pushed me behind him.

"What the hell? What are you doing here?" My dad asked. "Jane, what the fuck are you doing?"

"Bringing her a real boyfriend!"

"Are you fucking stupid? That's the guy who tried to beat up your child!" My dad yelled. "You need to get off my property before I call the police. We still have a restraining order against you."

"I was invited." Derrick said.

"The fuck you weren't." Sal said, stepping beside my dad.

"Oh, gross you're still with that freak?" I could see the fire burning in his eyes. "How's your nose by the way." He grinned.

"How are you out of jail?" I questioned. My mom probably broke him out or some shit.

"Let go early for good behavior." He winked. "I had to come back and see my baby graduation."

"I'm not your anything." I growled, my dad holding me back from reaching forward and ripping his eyes out.

"I want both of you off my property." He said as we could hear sirens pulling up to the house, lights shining through the windows of the house to the backyard.

Derrick took off in a sprint, into the darkness. My mom stood there. "I didn't know he did any of that."

"I don't want to see you ever again. You're fucking crazy!" I said, "Don't try popping back up. Whatever you were trying to do, didn't work. It just made me hate you more."

You could see the last of whatever heart she had, shatter as tears filled her eyes. "If that's what you want. I'll go."

[Sorry this was so shitty 😂]