32. Big Steps

32. Big Steps

Summer was finally here, and I was so glad to be back in Nockfell. Over the past two years, it had really become my home. Good and bad things happened, but I don't think I'd change anything.

Dad was away on a business trip, but would be coming home in a few days. Once he got back, I was finally going to meet his new girlfriend. They had been together almost a year, but with me being away, it was hard to meet up.

I packed the last box and put it on the small cart outside my door. It was sad leaving Alex behind, but thankfully, she only lived about an hour away from Nockfell, and she planned on visiting when she could.

I pushed the small metal cart outside and into the sunshine. Most students moved out yesterday, but I waited to spend one last night eating ice cream and watching terrible Netflix comedies with Alex.

I sat on a bench and looked at my phone, waiting for the phone call from Sal. He said he would call me when he got here. I saw his car before I got any call, so I stood up and made my way into the parking lot.

He put the car in park and opened the door. He stretched slightly before walking over, wrapping his arms around me.

"I can't wait to get three whole months of you to myself." He said into my hair, giving me a soft squeeze.

"You have to share me with everyone else, still." I laughed. He chuckled and pulled away.

"Yeah, but I'll sleep better now that you'll be by my side every night." He said picking up another box. We loaded the car up and hopped in, preparing for the two hour car ride.

We listened to music and admired the country side around us. I sang along and stared out the window, commenting on the cows we passed until he turned the music down slightly.

"Move in with me?" He asked. I turned to look at him, shocked by the sudden question. He turned for a moment and looked at me, then back at the road.

"Are you serious?"

He nodded, "Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" He asked.

"I dunno." I replied, "We've never really talked about it, so it was just out of the blue."

He chuckled, "Yeah, I know, but I was thinking about it since I moved in with Neil and Todd. They just seem so happy living together. Plus, you already always stay at with me whenever you come home."

I shrugged, "I dunno, Sally. That's a pretty big step."

I heard the soft sigh, even though I don't think I was intended to. "Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry."

I reached over and patted his leg, "Let's just really think about it. It's not a no." He reached down and grabbed my hand, holding it in his for the rest of the car ride.

°

I sat in my bedroom, unpacking the few boxes I had left, when I heard the front door open. "Bug? Are you home?"

"Yeah!" I called, standing up. I walked over to the door and opened it. Dad was taking his shoes off at the door, dropping his duffle bag beside them. I walked over and gave him a big hug.

"Glad Sal got you home safely." He said. "Is he here?"

"No, he's at home." I answered, sitting down on the couch. "How was it without me?"

"Not too bad." He shrugged before laughing. "Sal would come watch the game with me every couple weeks."

"Oh, really?" I asked.

"Yeah. He's a good guy. I really like him."

"Dad.." I said, "Stop trying to scoop up on my boyfriend. Also, when am I going to meet your girlfriend?"

He shrugged, "Whenever you want to."

"Tomorrow?"

He nodded, "We can do that. But, I'm gonna head to bed. I'm extremely tired, and I'm dying to be in my own bed."

"Okay." I laughed. "Goodnight. Love you, dad."

"Love you too, bug. I'll see you in the morning."

I turned the TV on and started watching a show when my phone started ringing. I answered it and was surprised to hear Ash's voice on the other line.

"Ash!" I exclaimed. "How are you?"

"Dude, I'm great. How are you?"

"Mega good." I laughed. "What are you up to?"

"Well, I was catching up with Sal earlier and he said he asked to to move in with him." She said.

"Oh, yeah." I chuckled. "He did. I don't know if I'm gonna though."

"Why not?"

"I dunno, I don't want us to get sick of each other." I said. I turned the show down slightly and leaned back against the couch.

"I don't think you will." She said. "You two are basically always together. If you haven't got sick of each other yet, than you should be okay."

"I told him I would think about it."

"Hey, you do what makes you comfortable. What are you doing tomorrow night?" She asked. "I'd love to hang out and catch up."

"I think I'm finally meeting dad's girlfriend tomorrow."

"Dude!" She exclaimed, "I forgot your dad had a girlfriend. How long have they been together now?"

"Almost a year I think!"

"That's super cool. Well, hey, text me later and let me know what's going on. We can hang out the next day if it's better."

"I sure will, Ash." I said. "Thanks for calling."

She chuckled, "Gotta check up on my best friend."

°

I was laying on Sal's bed, Gizmo sat on my stomach, purring loudly. His eyes were shut and his neck was stretched out and his chin sat on his paws. I slowly petted him while Sal sat on his computer. He was playing a game. His headphones blocked out any sound and the only thing making any noise, besides Gizmo, was his keyboard.

He closed out of his game and pulled his headphones off, setting them down on his desk. He turned around and gave me a smile.

"I like seeing my two favorite people loving on each other."

"Psh," I laughed, "You're always mad when Gizmo loves me more than you."

He chuckled, "You're not wrong." He stood up and sat down beside me. He started texting on his phone, leaning back against the wall.

"I will." I said, randomly. He looked at me and cocked his eyebrow.

"What?" He laughed lightly.

"I'll move in with you."

He smiled widely and hugged me, causing Gizmo to jump off of me and scurry into the next room. "I love you." He said, peppering my face with kisses.

I giggled. "I love you too."