n i n e t e e n - you always say that

made waves with some friends i know,
got lost in the ebb and f l o w . . .

🌊🌊🌊

Brody's P.O.V.

Right on time at 5:30 the next morning, the lovable, pain in my ass that is Owen arrived at my house. His rickety, decades-old, but still somehow bright-as-fuck yellow Volkswagen van pulled up, the engine sputtering at the curb as he waited for me.

I picked up my duffle bag and swung it over my shoulder, prying the front door open while my mom emerged from the kitchen in her robe. A tired smile rested on her face when she saw me, and I couldn't help but detect the usual hint of heartbreak in the look. It comes out whenever I leave her for a trip, and it doesn't hurt any less every time I see it.

"Alright Ma, he's here. I'll see you on Monday," I told her.

Her smile widened as she walked over to me, wrapping her small arms around me in a hug. "Have fun, and be safe. Bring me back some medals," she muttered into my chest. I lightly kissed her head, staying in her embrace for a few more seconds, then I collected my bags and marched outside. "Tell Lena and Owen I said hello!" She hollered after me from the front door, waving to Owen.

"I will!" I paused from packing the bags in the van to turn around and flash my mom a smile. In return, she blew me a kiss and went back inside.

Owen jumped out of the drivers seat, a wide grin on his face before he wrapped me in a hug. "You excited, man?" He asked me, taking one of my boards and attaching it to the roof of the van.

"Hell yeah," I grunted as I threw the last bag in and shut the door. "I just don't understand why we had to get up so goddamn early."

"Because, Brody," Owen heaved. He fought with the bungee cord for a few seconds, quiet expletives coming from his mouth every now and then. I watched from the sidewalk with a smirk, my arms crossed over my chest. "Are you driving? Do you want to be sitting in Jersey traffic all morning? Don't get me wrong, I love you, but being stuck in a car with you for longer than I intended isn't on my agenda today. Got it?"

"Aye aye, captain," I mock saluted him. "Just make sure my boards won't come off on the highway in the middle of nowhere New Jersey."

"Yeah, yeah," he scoffed, but then gave me a typical, conceited smirk after.

I've known Owen since I was about eight years old, which is when I really started to get serious with surfing. He's been there with me through all the ups and downs of my life and I say he's like my father, since my real one isn't in the picture anymore.

He's got ridiculously blonde, curly hair, tan skin, and a glowing white smile. The guy is probably one of the nicest people I've ever known. Also, he's an incredible surfer and I wouldn't want anyone else for a trainer, manager, or father figure. Despite our slight age gap with him being about fifteen years older than me, we get along like brothers.

"So, your girl lives in Big Blue, huh?" Owen cooed, slowing up when we came to a stop sign.

"Yup," I breathed with a nod. He didn't need to directions to her house – most people can spot out where the giant, aqua blue structure on the beach is. And if you live in our town, you definitely know of it.

Owen chuckled, taking a second to glance at me. "I gotta say, Brod, you really stepped it up from Crazy Brains," he said teasingly, nudging my shoulder.