t w e n t y-f o u r - you really have changed

when push comes to shove,
i am still in l o v e . . .

🌊🌊🌊

Boys make you do ridiculous things sometimes. Like say stupid things because they're so cute, or have you questioning every little quirk about yourself and wondering if they notice them. My surfer boy can do all of that to me.

The one thing he's managed to do that no one else can is make me get up early. Exceedingly early after a late night of drinking, for example.

With three hours of sleep, a fierce headache, and definitely still drunk, I was awake the next morning, somewhat ready for Brody to come to my house before he heads to the airport with Owen. Then after, he'll be on his way to Malibu for a few days.

I felt like utter shit, but there's no way I'd miss saying goodbye to Brody.

My parents were awake as well, but they were getting ready for work per usual. It was barely 5:30 and they were drifting around the house like it was noon. While they were both showered and glowing on this early Saturday morning, I burrowed myself into the couch in the living room. The only semi-entertaining thing on at this hour were randomized music videos, infomercials, or the news, so I settled on watching the former.

"See you later, baby," my mom rushed her words out as she came over to kiss my forehead. Her bandanna was a little crooked in her hair, the bag on her shoulder slipping down to her elbow when she bent over. "Tell Brody good luck from us."

"I will," I said through a yawn, nodding my head.

She pulled away and rested a hand on my shoulder, a childish smile on her face. "In the meantime, I'll nag your father some more about taking us to Hawaii or California. Preferably sometime before I'm a senior citizen," she whispered just to me.

"What was that?" My dad called from the front door, and I giggled along with my mom.

"Nothing, dear," she sang. With a sly wink my way, she walked to him and they were both gone.

As I sat in the quiet of my house, the TV as the only sound surrounding me, I was convinced that I'd fall asleep again. Downing one cup of coffee wouldn't suffice, so I pried myself off the couch and scuffed along to the kitchen. The pot was waiting for me on the counter as I went to grab it so I could fill my mug. Right when I did, my phone pinged.

I paused, hearing a car door slam from somewhere outside. Not even bothering to check my phone that was in the living room, I abandoned my coffee mission and darted to the front door, swinging it open. Brody's figure was emerging up the staircase, a smile pulling at his exhausted features when he saw me.

His hair was a mess and he was for sure more hungover than me, but he still managed to look so damn gorgeous. How?

"Hi," Brody greeted, voice thick with sleep. He came right up to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, burying his head into my shoulder.

I reached my arm out to shut the door and then embraced him too, mumbling a soft, "Hi."

Neither of us said anything for a couple of minutes. The music videos on the TV still played in the background. I shut my eyes and breathed in the scent of his freshly washed t-shirt, stashing away every little detail about this moment for later.

Nine days of separation is nothing to some people. But to a couple of teenagers like Brody and myself, it might as well be a year.

Brody sighed and rested his chin on top of my head, his one hand going up to stroke my ponytail. "I wish you could come with me," he croaked.