t w e n t y-t h r e e - i'm gonna miss that

she cast a spell on you,
there's no denying the t r u t h . . .

🌊🌊🌊

From my spot on a stool in The Sand Dollar, I watched the rain relentlessly pound the pavement outside. Instead of seeing my usual view of the sun peering over the sand dunes across the street, all I saw was a gray, gloomy sky. Hundreds of puddles covered the vacant parking lot, save for the two cars belonging to my parents and I.

The rain started sometime overnight and hasn't stopped since. Apparently, it's not supposed to let up anytime soon either. I'm scheduled to work the pier after my shift at the diner, but if this storm doesn't clear out by then, we won't be able to open. For now, I'm just waiting until Beverly gets up to hear from her about it.

My dad was messing around in the kitchen, my mom was in the back stock room, and I was just sitting on a stool waiting for 6 o'clock so I could flip that closed sign to open. Robyn's silver Subaru wheeled into the lot, coming to an abrupt halt in between two white lines. I quietly laughed to myself as she fumbled around in her car, probably cursing about the rain and how she didn't have an umbrella.

My theory was proven to be true when she bolted from her car to the front doors in four seconds flat.

"Good morning," I chirped with a big smile, just to irk her.

She growled in return, stomping her feet on the rug to rid her sneakers of the dirt and water they'd accumulated on the short walk to the building. "Is it?"

"Not really," I chuckled. I spun in my stool when she went behind the counter, her auburn curls already deflating from the humidity.

"We haven't had rain like this in so long," she sighed, shaking her head. Grabbing a rag, she patted her shirt somewhat dry and then swung it over her shoulder when she was done.

"Yeah, I know. I don't mind it though because that means I don't have to go to my shift at the pier," I wagged my eyebrows as I typed out a reply to Beverly's message. One informing me that I wouldn't be needed today, followed by a few expletives aimed at Mother Nature.

By 6 on the dot, the staff was ready and we were open. And we didn't get a single customer for at least an hour. That was exactly how we predicated the rest of the day to go, because of the horrific weather. But no matter what, there's still always a few that pop in without a care if it's sunny or snowing.

The day went by a little faster than I thought it would, most likely because I couldn't keep my mind off of one thing. Brody leaving for California in two days.

I've been dreading Saturday morning all this week because I can't imagine what it's going to be like with him gone for nine days on the other side of the country – the longest and farthest we've ever been apart. Being the slightly selfish person that I am, I can't help but miss him already, as well as be exceedingly jealous that I can't go on the trip. Also being a good girlfriend though, I'm still excited for him because these two competitions are a huge deal.

When we closed shop at noon, we all scattered to our cars to avoid the rain. My parents were heading home, but I on the other hand, went to Brody's house. He wasn't working or surfing for once, so he told me to come over. Only if I was down for rainy day cuddles, though. Which of course, I couldn't pass up.

I didn't even bother going home to change because I just wanted to see him. So he'd have to live with me showing up in my aqua blue The Sand Dollar t-shirt and little white shorts.

His car was the only one in the driveway when I pulled up to his house a few minutes after leaving the diner. I snatched a jacket that was carelessly tossed in my backseat, hovered it over my head, and made a run for his front door. With perfect timing, he opened it up as soon as I was within arms reach.