t h i r t y-o n e - don't fall asleep yet

i'll be fine, you'll be fine,
this moment seems so l o n g . . .

🌊🌊🌊

Autumn had officially hit Shellmark, and we were right in the middle of it with Thanksgiving weekend. Most of the boardwalk stores were closed, save for a few that are open year-round like a couple pizza places and fudge shops. The beach was desolate, aside from those that still enjoy it no matter what the temperature is outside by taking walks and watching the sky. Waves never stopped crashing in the ocean, but it wasn't enough for someone I know.

Brody was away for the first half of the month, off competing in Florida where it was warmer and the surf was better. It was the longest time we were ever apart, but I had school, work at the diner, and my friends to keep me busy.

Lucky for me, he came back just in time for the holiday and my break. Though his friends were all home from college for a few days as well, he wanted to be with me. So right away, I whisked him away to a party at Heather's the night after Thanksgiving.

Wrapped up in Brody's arms, I didn't let him out of my sight practically the entire time we were at Heather's. My friends would go off elsewhere, but I stayed with my surfer boy. I couldn't keep my hands off of him, and with it only being my second time seeing him besides the night he got home two days prior, I really couldn't get enough of him.

His time away from me made me realize how much I love him. Not that I didn't know it already, but him gone for almost three weeks just made it that much more palpable. I was counting down the seconds until the trip was over and he was flying home. It further provoked me to get him all to myself when I realized that talk I had with Sadie was a month and a half ago.

It's been a bit of time, but damnit, I can't wait any longer. Everything fell into place and I knew exactly what Sadie meant when she said it felt right when her moment happened with Caleb. With Brody back with me, nothing on my mind but him, surrounded by all my friends in the lively atmosphere at Heather's house, I was overwhelmed with love and every syllable to match it.

Except the only thing I didn't plan on was being so excited about Brody coming home that I drank too much.

"I'm so happy you came with me," I mumbled into Brody's chest, where my head was happily nuzzled against. Our arms were around each other as we stood near a cabinet full of small antiques in Heather's cozy living room, the rest of the kids in my grade carrying on with the party around us.

"I know, babe. You've told me that twelve times, but I appreciate it," Brody chuckled. My smile widened even though he couldn't see it, and I squeezed him a little more. "Your friends are calling you."

I picked up my head to see him jutting his chin out to somewhere behind us. Turning in his grip, I saw Sadie and Jodie marching over to us and shouting something, but the music was too loud to decipher what.

"Heather and Mina saved us the last three Jello shots! Come on!" Sadie grabbed onto me and tried yanking me away from Brody. Jodie impatiently stood beside her, a grin on her face as she nodded her head. Caleb was nice enough to be the designated driver of the night so Jodie could have some fun for once, and by the flush on her face and her squinted eyes, it seemed she was doing just that.

"Okay," I drawled, reluctantly taking my arms from around Brody. Pouting up at him, he just smirked back and leaned down to peck my lips while I murmured, "I'll be back."

My friends were fed up with me being so needy for my boyfriend, when they both grabbed an arm of mine and dragged me to the kitchen. Sure enough, Heather and Mina were standing by the fridge, backs turned until they heard us approaching. They shoved a different colored Jello shot into each of our hands, watching us slurp them down in seconds.