10

10
You're Welcome

KENDALL WAS nervous.

She was in her bathroom, straightening out her curly bob. Her makeup was already done, and she was already dressed.

She paused from straightening to check the time. Ryan would come to pick her up soon, but she was almost finished.

As she did her hair, Kendall wondered what it would be like on the red carpet. She wondered if it would feel the same as when she imagined it when she was young. But she also worried about the celebrities and press not liking her. Even though everyone she met instantly adored her, she still worried about not being accepted by others.

Her mom taught her that if she didn't fit in, then she was most likely doing something wrong. She also taught Kendall that gaining the acceptance of others was crucial. No matter how many times Kendall denied it to herself, she still had those underlying beliefs.

Constantly wanting to please others made Kendall feel weak. And she wasn't weak. She was Kendall Morgan.

After curling her hair slightly, Kendall unplugged the straightener. A knock then sounded throughout her apartment.

"It's open!" Kendall called out.

Kendall stepped out of the bathroom to see Ryan clad in a black suit and tie. He was leaning against the wall, which made his toned muscles show more prominently through the suit. His dark hair was gelled back from its normally free position. He looked incredibly dapper.

When he saw Kendall, he pushed himself off the wall and took her hand,  kissing the back of it gently. "You look ravishing."

Kendall blushed. "Thank you. You look really good, too."

"Oh, and happy birthday," Kendall added. "I do have something for you, but I'll give it to you afterwards."

"Thank you." Ryan smiled and reached into his suit, pulling out two black velvet boxes. He set the larger one down and opened the smaller one, revealing a pair of ruby earrings. They were chandelier earrings, and the rubies were cut into a pear shape. The smaller ruby acted as a stud and the larger ruby was meant to dangle from the wearer's ears. Both gems were lined with gold and diamonds.

Kendall's breath hitched at the sight of the jewelry. "Ryan . . . These are beautiful, but I can't accept them."

"I want you to wear them," Ryan stated. "I won't stop insisting until you put them on."

Kendall sighed, but took the box from Ryan anyway. She moved gracefully to the full-length mirror that leaned against the wall next to her bed. As she put on the earrings, Ryan came up behind her with a ruby necklace to match. The chain of it was gold, and it had evenly spaced circular rubies throughout. At the center of the necklace was a large ruby, similar to the ones that now dangled from Kendall's ears.

Not seeing the point in arguing, Kendall moved her hair for Ryan to put the necklace on her. He did so delicately, his fingers gently grazing Kendall's neck. Ryan's hands then wandered from Kendall's neck to her waist. He lowered his head slightly so that his soft lips brushed over her ear, making her quiver slightly. "You are stunning."

The intoxicating aroma of Ryan's cologne enveloped Kendall. Her heart was beating sporadically, threatening to jump out of her chest. Ryan was the only guy she'd ever met that had the ability to make her feel this way.

To his surprise, Ryan snapped out of his daze quicker than Kendall. He cleared his throat and extended his arm out to her. "Shall we?"

Kendall grinned as she linked her arm with Ryan's. "We shall."