Chapter 4

Julia was pleased when Lady Poppy called on her the next morning. But she wasn't so pleased when the young woman asked her to dress and get ready.

"Where are we going?" she asked, already dreading the answer.

"Why shopping, of course."

What did everyone have against her clothes, she thought disgruntled.

"Why? Was what I wore last night not agreeable?" Julia asked, biting her lip.

"Oh nothing of that sort, my dear. My mother informed me that you have only purchased two ball gowns and three day frocks. Hence we must go shopping," Poppy grinned.

"How many more clothes can I possibly need?" Julia gaped. Yes, even she knew that the five gowns she'd purchased wouldn't suffice for her stay in London but she had her older clothes that she could wear when she wasn't out and about....like now.

"Someday some very lucky man is going to marry you," Poppy said drily, shaking her head in amazement. "My dear, while we both don't wish to catch husbands right now, it is imperative that we put are best foot forward. A few new gowns are just what we need for what I have in mind. Besides, your grandfather has no one to spend all his money. The least you can do is oblige him a little."

"That last part is true," Julia laughed. "Alright, then let us go."

                 ******************

A half day in Poppy's company had Julia feeling tired and battered...but she also didn't recall the last time she'd had so much fun.

Poppy had made her try the infamous ices that Julia had enjoyed immensely.

"Oh but this is divine," she gasped after trying it.

"I'm glad you liked it," Poppy grinned indulgently.

"So tell me, Julia, did you not have any suitors in India?" she asked after a while.

"Not really. There was this one friend that I'd always thought I'd marry as a little girl. Even though I'd only ever met him once, we had corresponded regularly. But I suppose it wasn't meant to be," Julia shrugged.

"I'm pleased that you are unattached as I'm sure the other gentlemen of London will be," Poppy smiled.

When they arrived home, Padma informed Julia excitedly that the letters from India had arrived.

Julia gasped and rushed up to her room, hollering at Poppy and Padma to follow her. Luckily, Poppy did not take offence. She laughed and complied.

Julia found a fat envelope upon her writing desk and picked it up. She tore it open and found about ten sheets of paper. Several people missed her, it seemed, she thought with a smirk.

Poppy entered along with Padma and both of them settled comfortably. Julia barely noticed them.

She read the one by her father first. It was short and sweet, reflecting on her father's personality.

I miss you, Jules, the last line read and Julia felt the unfamiliar prickle of tears in her eyes.

She hurriedly folded it close and picked up the next one, not wanting to cry. Her mother's letter was longer. There were several anecdotes that made her chuckle. She also recited them to Padma who was sitting on the floor with her hands cupping her cheeks. Julia grinned at the eagerness on the girl's face. Poppy seemed interested as well.

But when she read the next page, the smile on her face slipped slowly.

It said: