Chapter 5

Michael had had some estate business in Kent in the coming week and had decided to visit his youngest sister on his way back to London.

So he had not had a chance to accompany Miss Julia to any of the balls. Fred had assured him that he'd do it until Michael was back.

He'd taken Erica to a nice inn for luncheon and then driven her about in his curricle while they chatted on various topics.

He was surprised by how refined Erica had become. But with him, she was the same old Erica—a peculiar combination of silly and serious.

"So, tell me more about this Miss Andrews. I confess I'm extremely curious about her," she said while indelicately munching on a piece of mutton.

"Who even told you about her?" Michael laughed.

"Poppy and mother of course. We do write to each other, Michael. We're not animals!"

"Alright, what do you wish to know?"

"Is she as beautiful as mother described?"

"Yes," Michael grinned at his sister's widened eyes.

"And she isn't dull?"

"No."

"She isn't annoying like Poppy either?"

"No and I'll let Poppy know what you think of her," Michael smirked.

"If you do, I will tell her that you broke the doll mother had gifted her during her tenth year and pinned the blame on our poor terrier," she said with a perfectly straight face.

Michael visibly blanched.

"I was jesting," Michael murmured.

"So was I, my dear brother," Erica winked and turned her attention to her plate.

"When are you planning to marry?" she asked abruptly, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Come now, I'm still too young to marry, Erica."

"Ladies such as us would be titled a confirmed spinster or worse if we remained unmarried until we were eight and twenty," she pointed out reasonably.

"Which is why I thank God everyday for making me a man," he smiled slightly.

"If you're to accompany Miss Julia everywhere, you will be exposed to attentions from the marriageable ladies and their ambitious mamas, yes? Then why don't you just marry one of them and be done with it?"

"And here I thought you were a romantic," he laughed.

"I am. But you aren't, so if you can't be romantic, the least you can do is be pragmatic," she said as if delivering words of great wisdom.

Michael laughed outright. "That is true," he said sagely. "But who do you suggest I marry? You know as well as I how the young ladies in London are, do you not?"

"How exactly are they?"

"Dull, boring, always giggling about something...I could go on and on," Michael said.

"You just informed me that Miss Julia isn't dull or annoying. So why don't you marry her?" Erica asked innocently.

"So this had been the point of the entire conversation," Michael muttered under his breath.

"What?"

"I can't marry her," he said audibly.