Chapter 41: The Disease Spreads

A/N

(Y/N) Your Name

"Signing"

"Talking"

Alarms were blaring. The sun was slowly coming up as soldiers ran around the base camp with their guns ready. They were so focused on the threat that they didn't even notice Caesar and (Y/N) make their way up to the Colonel's balcony. Caesar climbed the flag that hung below the balcony while (Y/N) flew up. While the soldiers were distracted, she had the chance to grab some medical equipment to clean the wounds on her wings so she could fly better. 

They slowly walked inside and found the Colonel's map on a table in the middle of the room. It was messy, there was equipment all across the map. Caesar found a photo that was lying in a small puddle, of what seemed to the an alcoholic drink of some sort, it was a young boy. Caesar showed (Y/N). 

"His son maybe?" (Y/N) asked in a whisper. Caesar nodded. They both froze when they heard a sound from around the corner. They quietly looked around the corner to find Colonel McCullough lying on his bed, reaching down to the ground trying to grab a beer bottle that he must of dropped. Caesar looked to the Colonel's bedside table and saw a gun. He slowly walked over near the Colonel, who was clearly distracted by the determination of getting his drink back. 

(Y/N) stayed near the corner but she wasn't hiding. Instead, she also stood near Caesar with her wings held up in case McCullough tried to do anything. Caesar held the gun, aimed at the Colonel's forehead, as he breathed heavily. The Colonel looked to him and tried to speak. But nothing came out except a few rasping breaths. (Y/N) stood beside Caesar, still in her defensive position, as she shared a confused expression with her brother. She looked to the ground and found something. 

"Caesar." She said and put a hand on his shoulder to grab his attention. Caesar also looked down and saw Nova's doll, covered in more blood than before. That must of been how the Colonel caught the disease. 

Caesar quickly looked back up when he felt the Colonel grab the gun and point it to his own head. He shut his eyes and braced himself for the gun to go off. Caesar began to breath heavily again as he put pressure on the gun. He took the Colonel's hand off the gun and gave a silent snarl. He held the gun there for a few seconds before slowly putting the gun back where he found it. The Colonel looked at him sadly before reaching for the gun. He raised it to his head as Caesar and (Y/N) stood and watched. He shut his eyes again tightly and pulled the trigger. 

Caesar and (Y/N) made their way over to the balcony once more and looked out to where the soldiers were fighting against the enemy soldiers. They threw grenades, shot rifles and aimed their rocket launchers. They shot their bullets into the air but stopped for a bit before they aimed at the ground. Caesar and (Y/N) saw the soldier aimed at the apes as they tried to escape. They both looked around for anything that could be useful. 

"The leak." Caesar said as he pointed over to a large tub of what seemed to be flammable liquid. "Let's blow it up." (Y/N) nodded in agreement before covering herself and Caesar with her wings as a bomb exploded just below the balcony. 

"The grenades." She said once they were safe. They turned back and went back into the room and grabbed the grenades off the table. 

"Colonel, are you in there? Colonel?!" A soldier yelled from the door of the room. 

"Just break it down!" Another shouted before they broke down the door and saw the ape and the girl. They shot at them but missed. Caesar and (Y/N) escaped the room through the balcony. Caesar slid down the flag as (Y/N) flew. Caesar ran on all fours with the grenades connected to a belt-like thing that he wore like you would wear a sash. (Y/N) flew through the air, doing a few turns to dodge the flying bullets. 

The soldiers continued to shoot at them both as they ran/flew away from the shooting soldiers, closer and closer to their target.