Chapter 49: Hunting Practise Gone Wrong

A/N 

(Y/N) Your Name

"Signing"

"Talking"

Damon stood up from where he was sitting and ran over to (Y/N). "Woah! What happened?!" He asked frantically. 

"It's not mine." (Y/N) said naturally, gesturing to the blood, as if it was a regular thing. "Why you so worried?" (Y/N) asked as she backed up a bit. 

"Uh, I wasn't. What are you talking about. I wasn't worried." Damon said as he tried to cover it up. 

"Listen. I've been fighting my whole life. And I can take care of myself, I don't need someone stressing over me. Got it? I'm gonna go clean up." She said before she flew away to a secluded lake. Damon watched her fly as he slowly walked in her direction. Then he was stopped by Rocket. Damon immediately got scared. Even though he was taller than the ape, he stood no chance against Rocket. 

Rocket just shook his head and pointed two fingers at his own eyes then at Damon, indicating that he was keeping his eye on the boy. Damon nodded nervously. Rocket smirked and walked away. Damon thought to himself, I've got to stop paying so much attention to this girl. Damon thought as he walked back to his brothers and Nova. They continued to learn sign-language and played games. 

The sun then began to set as (Y/N) came back. The night was similar to the previous one, quite peaceful actually. Damon had helped cook the meat and prepare the fruit. Everyone ate then went to bed. (Y/N), Damon, Liam, Andrew and Nova went to the tree. The three children went up before (Y/N) asked to talk to Damon. 

"I spoke with the apes and they all think that...you and your brothers can stay. As long as you follow our ways." (Y/N) said. 

Damon smiled, "thank you so much (Y/N). I don't know how my brothers and I would've survived by ourselves. And we will respect and follow your ways...leader." (Y/N) gave a small smirk, rolled her eyes and flew up to her branch as Damon climbed the makeshift wooden ladder. "Good night." Damon signed. 

(Y/N) signed back, "good night." And soon they were both asleep. 

Three Weeks Later

Damon moved deer skins over to the main area for the female apes. He placed them down as they thanked him. "No problem." He signed back. He would spend a lot of time helping out, learning more sign language with his brothers (which they all need more work but they're improving) and hanging out with (Y/N). (Y/N) flew down and landed next to Damon. 

"Hey, what you doing?" She asked. 

"Just helped with the animal skins." Damon replied. 

"Oh, that's nice of you." (Y/N) and Damon had been becoming closer recently. More as friends than anything else. "Wanna train?" (Y/N) asked. 

"Sure." Damon smiled. (Y/N) had been teaching Damon to hunt and kill. Whether it be for hunting purposes, enemy attacks or defence. Damon had been improving rapidly, with (Y/N) being an amazing teacher of course. This time, they went to the forest where the apes would usually go to hunt. 

Once they got there, (Y/N) explained the days activity. "Usually, if you spot an enemy, you would immediately run back to inform the apes. But sometimes, you might need to improvise. So, I'll pretend to be the enemy. I'll give you ten seconds to find a spot in the forest. Your job is to get through the forest without being found or seen, so you can get back to the apes. Got it?" 

"Got it." Damon confirmed. 

"Go." (Y/N) turned around and counted to ten while Damon ran into the forest. He jumped over logs and ran around trees while keeping his weapon, a bow and arrow, on his back. He found a bush and stayed there until he knew (Y/N) wouldn't be able to see him. Since the enemies obviously don't have wings, (Y/N) would run through the forest instead of flying. 

Damon stayed in his position until he heard fast footsteps. He watched through the leaves as he saw (Y/N) run past him. Thinking it was safe, Damon stood up from where he was hiding and ran in the direction of the ape home. He was almost out before (Y/N) flew into his side and pulled him to the ground. 

"Hey! I thought you said no fly-" 

"Shh!" (Y/N) shushed him by putting her hand on his mouth. Damon looked at (Y/N) as she stared at something. Damon tapped her shoulder. 

"What?" He asked. (Y/N) at him as her eyes glowed red. 

"Soldiers." She replied. "Go back. Warn Rocket and Maurice. I'll stay and watch." She signed in a simple way so Damon would understand. "I'll distract. When clear, you run." 

"Uh, wait!" He said whispering, forgetting how to sign his sentences. "I'll help. Trust me!" He whispered. 

"No. Go back, now." (Y/N) whispered sternly. Damon then nodded immediately and watched as (Y/N) skilfully climbed a tree then jumped into the air and made sounds with the tree's leaves. The soldiers turned back and pointed their guns in the air. 

That was Damon's cue. He stood up and ran back to the ape home. He got tired but didn't stop. "Rocket!" He called when he got to the main area. Rocket ran up to him worriedly. 

"Where's (Y/N)?" He asked. 

"We were training... Soldiers... (Y/N)... still there." Damon replied taking breaths in between words. Rocket wasted no time as he gave his iconic shriek, calling large groups of apes towards him. 

"We'll go. Tell Maurice." Rocket instructed. 

"What? Come on, I want to help!" Damon exclaimed. 

"No. Stay." Rocket signed before explaining to the apes what was happening. In about a minute, the apes had gathered their spears and were running towards where the soldiers had been spotted. 

(Y/N) had continued to distract the soldiers long enough for the apes to arrive. And once they did, guns were fired. She put herself into the top of a tree and looked around. She then lowered herself down to join the battle. The soldiers were shooting their guns but only a few bullets hit the apes. Soon, the apes had killed most of the soldiers with their spears and fists. The rest had retreated. (Y/N) fought a soldier after kicking away his gun. The soldier pulled out a dagger from his pocket and started trying to stab the girl. (Y/N) dodged the hits before she swiftly grabbed the knife and turned it back onto the soldier. She pierced the knife straight through the man's left eye. 

The man fell to the ground and laid in a pool of his own blood. (Y/N) sighed before she began to raise her wings. But she stopped when she sensed something. She turned around and looked up to the trees. She saw a man aiming his gun directly at her. (Y/N)'s instincts made her jump out of the way as the bullet came flying towards her. Luckily, the bullet didn't hit anywhere fatal. 

(Y/N)'s eyes glowed brightly as she flew up into the tree the soldier was in. She pushed him off the high branch and the sickening sound of bones breaking filled her ears. She hovered in the air before she felt a bit dizzy. (Y/N) lowered herself to the ground and saw some apes run towards her. She looked to her right wing and saw her feathers were drenched in blood. Then the pain came, three bullets from the soldier's rifle had gone straight through her wing. 

Rocket got to her side and held her steady. He called another ape over to help as well. They helped her walk as they quickly made their way back home. They got (Y/N) help immediately, with a specific 23 year old boy, yet to know of the events.