A Pile of Apologies

I had limited interaction with Jaelyn over the past few days. I had to change that. Especially because Drew knew. He had also been scarce, avoiding me at all costs. I was waiting for one of them to say something, to ask. But so far all there was was radio static between us.

So I rolled up to Jaelyn as she laughed about something with Bre, Sydney and Allison.

"Hey ladies." I said, cutting Sydney off. "Mind if I borrow my girl for a minute."

This time I didn't miss the look that she shared with Bre. That bitch knew. I wondered how many other looks I'd missed.

"Of course." Jae said flashing me a smile. "I'll catch up with you guys."

I didn't say anything as we put some distance between us and the girls. Jaelyn kept glancing at me, her mouth opening and closing like she was going to say something and then changed her mind.

"Are we okay?" She asked, apparently deciding.

Game time Owen. I took a deep breath, shoving all the anger and hurt as far back as I possibly could before I looked up at her.

"Of course babe. Why wouldn't we be?" I asked, reaching out for her hand.

I hadn't initiated physical contact in forever with Jaelyn. It felt weird and forced for me but if she felt it she didn't show it.

"I love you Owen." She said on an exhale, relief washing over her.

"I love you too Jae."

I felt someone staring at us, my eyes darting around to all the faces behind us before they found Drew. As soon as our eyes met, he dropped his head, walking off.

That mother fucker.

I couldn't believe how just the thought of him, the sight of him, made anger swell up inside me at an alarming rate.

I shifted my gaze back to Jaelyn, tears swelling in her eyes as she tried to blink them away. My thumb was rubbing circles on her hand, something I had forgotten that I used to do but my body hadn't.

"Hey baby, come here." I said, pulling her down onto my lap.

"Things have just been so hard." She whispered, folding into me. "But I do love you so much. I'm sorry if I haven't been there enough."

"It's okay." I wrapped my arms around her, ignoring all the looks we were getting from passerby's. I wondered how many people knew about her and Drew. If they saw me holding her and thoughts of pity were rolling through their mind. "I'm sorry I haven't made it easy."

She buried her face in my neck, I could feel her hot tears on my skin. I had to admit, she was really selling it. I almost believed her.

"I have to tell you something." I said.

It was my sinker to make her believe I had no idea. It'd explain my shitty attitude recently, I could blame everything on it and I knew she'd accept it. She knew how hard I worked for my scholarship.

Jaelyn pulled back, her mascara starting to run. I reached up, wiping at a black tear that was rolling down her face.

"What is it?" She asked, her eyebrows pinched together, eyes full of concern.

She was fucking good.

"I lost my scholarship." I dropped my eyes to my lap, trying to summon how devastated I had felt when my dad first told me. That feeling had subsided, Jaelyn's and Drew's betrayal hurt worse.

"Oh Owen. I'm so sorry." Her hands were warm against my face as she lifted my head back up.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner." I told her. "I just didn't even know how to process it."