It's Not a Date

"What do you think? Interested?" Will asked well over an hour later.

He'd shown me the facility, explained the different sports. We had talked about chairs and equipment. He had introduced me to people. We talked about our love for sports.

He was a fucking badass.

"Fuck yes." I said excitedly. "I mean yeah, definitely interested."

"Good, that's what I want to hear." He said through laughter. "There's information at the office by the front door. Some waivers, information on chairs and equipment, practice hours, ya know the boring stuff. Pick it up on your way out."

I nodded my head. "Yeah."

"Stay as long as you want." He said. "Check the place out."

"Thanks."

He slapped me on the shoulder again, something I noticed he did a lot. But I didn't care.

"Not a problem kid, I expect to see you back."

"You will." I promised.

I had to come back.

I needed this place. I needed to play. I needed a part of me back.

I went and found Mina after Will left. I'd spotted her before I was even halfway around the track. She was sitting on the bottom row of the bleachers, her chin resting in her hand. Elbow propped on her knee that was crossed over her other leg. She was watching the court intently.

I didn't understand her.

But I wanted her to stay in my life.

Cheering erupted on the court, no doubt someone made a basket. Mina sat up, hands clapping as she cheered.

How could someone be so closed off yet so openly caring for others?

Her eyes found mine as I neared the bleachers. She didn't smile, even though I couldn't stop myself from doing so.

"How'd it go?" She asked, her attention all mine.

"Amazing. This place is ridiculous."

"So you like it then?"

She'd already asked me that.

"Yeah." I chuckled. "Yeah I do."

She seemed satisfied as she tried to keep a smile from her face. I wanted to tell her to stop, to stop hiding her smile but like so many other things I didn't tell her, I didn't think it'd be received well coming from me.

"Did you want to stay and keep looking around?" She asked.

We'd been there for a couple hours at least. And even though I wasn't entirely hungry, I figured she was.

"It's alright, I think I saw most of it. I just want to swing by the office we passed on the way in, grab some information Will told me about." I explained. "Are you hungry? Want to grab some food on the way back?"

She shifted on her feet, her back stiffening.  There was a line that Mina had drawn between us. I wasn't exactly sure where it was or why it existed but I knew it was there and I knew I couldn't force my way over it. I had to inch my way there and even then I figured it'd take some time to cross.

"It's not a date." I blurted, afraid she was about to shoot me down. "Just two people, eating together."

I wished it was a date.

She watched me for a second. Taking a deep breath before she said "okay".

"Yeah?" I had to double check, afraid I'd heard her wrong.