Like a Sailor

Today was not a good day.

I should have stayed home.

Nothing, and I meant nothing, was helping my pain. That and Jase still hadn't managed to get me any more weed. Day two, without it.

I ground my teeth together staring at a spot on the table I sat it. Max had asked me a couple of times if I was okay. The first two times I muttered a yeah but when he asked again halfway through class I opted for fuck off. He hadn't asked me again.

My jaw was aching.

But not as bad as the burning sensation that was over taking my lower half. Was this what it felt like to be set on fire? I had kind of forgot what it was like, the nerve pain. The weed had been taking care of it for the most part, aiding the medication I was prescribed.

I straightened my back up slightly, trying to accomplish what, I had no idea. Seemed like an okay idea at the time. That was until a jolt of electricity shot through my right arm so intense my muscles contracted and I blurted out the word "fuck" in the middle of class.

My outburst had stopped class, I was aware of that much at least.

"Language, Owen." Ms. Cho barked at me.

"Sorry." I said instantly.

I kept my eyes focused on the table. Trying my damn hardest to just go numb. Retreat into my mind so far that maybe I could detach from the gripping pain. But that same burst of pain shot through my arm and once again I disrupted class.

I followed it up with, "I'm sorry."

It really wasn't intentional.

Ms. Cho let out a heavy sigh. "One more outburst and I'm going to have to send you to the principals office."

I nodded, squeezing my eyes shut. I wondered if my teachers noticed, if they saw that I was in pain. If they cared.It wasn't like I could hide it on days like today. Did they have any sort of empathy for me?

I could feel people staring at me. Probably wondering what the fuck was wrong with me. It wasn't my first time I'd randomly blurted cuss words during class.

My shoulders were aching from being so tense, the center right between my shoulder blades. I winced in anticipation to what I thought was going to be another shock through my arm but it didn't come, at least not there. That one went down my leg but just as I was about to yell another cuss word out into the air I clamped my mouth shut, a distorted grunt muffled in my throat.

At least I didn't swear.

"Mr. Savas, what is going on?" Ms. Cho asked.

"I'm sorry." I repeated, the center of attention. "Can I leave?"

"What?" She was taken a back by my question like I'd asked her something crazy. "Why?"

I glanced at the clock, there was only ten more minutes. I could make it another ten minutes. Maybe.

"Nevermind." I muttered.

I was not going to explain to the class that I felt like someone had lit me on fire. It was bad enough everyone was looking at me like I'd lost my damn mind today.

So I sat there, a scowl on my face as I tried to hold back profanity, for ten long agonizing minutes.

When those ten minutes were up, I rolled myself back, another jolt shooting through my wrecked body which caused me once again to cuss. Thankfully the noise from everyone leaving blocked Ms. Cho from hearing.

I almost thought about calling out for Max. Asking if he'd push me. But he rushed out of class so fast I didn't have a chance. I was slow as usual navigating my way, that by the time I reached the door the hallway was packed. I wasn't in the mood to deal with this shit.