twenty-seven

I approach Jack once he's finally alone, only moments after he departs from my father, wrapping up their intensely boring conversation about the upcoming game

I take Jack's hand in my own when I'm sure that my father isn't paying attention, smiling coyly as I say to an intrigued Jack, "Follow me. I want to show you something."

"There's your dad." Jack nods in the direction of my father, his hand warm in my own. "Don't you think he'll notice if we both run off?"

At this point, I'm almost positive that my dad won't mind that I'm dating Jack, especially after seeing the two interact for the past hour. But part of me still isn't ready to have my dad find out and have to explain everything to him about how Jack and I even ended up together, so I guess Jack has a point.

"Just act like you're going to the bathroom," I blurt the first excuse that comes to my mind, taking a step backwards toward my house as my hand drops from Jack's, a secretive smile tugging at the corners of my lips. "And then meet me inside."

I don't wait for Jack to give me a response. I merely turn my back on him, slipping through the sliding glass door by the back patio and entering my house. Wandering into the kitchen, I'm not surprised to find a few of the football players sitting at the table, laughing loudly as they converse amongst themselves.

Jack enters through the back door after me a few moments later, glancing around the house for me. He spots me where I'm standing by the steps, and I gesture for him to follow me upwards. Jack smirks as he casually sets his hands in his pockets, taking his sweet time to stroll my way.

After what feels like forever, Jack finally makes it up the stairs and into my room. A low whistle comes from Jack's lips as he shuts my bedroom door softly, eyes wandering the area around him with interest before his gaze settles on me, a suggestive gleam dancing in his green eyes.

"So, this is where the Morgan Scott sleeps," Jack says with a playful tone, gesturing to my white-comforter clad bed placed in the middle of the room.

I roll my eyes at Jack's attempt at humor, taking a few steps toward him with my arms crossed over my chest. "Took you long enough to get here."

Jack chuckles like he finds me amusing, shaking his head as he allows his gaze to roam my features before settling on my eyes. "Why do you even want me up here? I thought you were scared of your dad catching us?"

I shrug as a teasing smile takes over my features, taking another small step toward Jack. "I don't know," I admit aloofly, grinning at the boy in front of me. "I guess I just wanted to be alone with you."

"Is that so?" Jack plays along, feigning indifference as he raises an eyebrow, studying me intently.

"Don't flatter yourself." Rolling my eyes, I find myself mumbling, "I don't think we've been alone together since we got together."