thirty-four

"I'm so glad to see you!" I cry as I throw myself at Jack, launching into his arms and looping my arms around his neck, legs wrapping around his waist

"Whoa," Jack murmurs as I catch him off guard, staggering forward before regaining his composure. He doesn't hesitate to encase me in his arms, holding me tightly into him without questioning my spontaneity.

I don't normally go around throwing myself at boys in the hallway, though I make an exception for Jack. It's been an entire weekend since I've seen or heard from him, and to say that I've been worried is an understatement. After all, I know that I got Jack into trouble with his mother once she caught the two of us skipping school to hang out at his house. Not to mention the trouble I could have potentially gotten him in with the school, as ditching for an athlete can result in suspension and expulsion from a team. I hadn't been thinking of the consequences Jack could face when I allowed him to climb into my car and drive off with me Friday afternoon, and I hate myself for putting him at risk so stupidly.

"I'm glad to see you, too," Jack says into my hair as a light chuckle leaves his lips. "I wanted to call you, but my mom grounded me and took my phone."

"I am so sorry," I gush as I drop to the ground, an apologetic expression taking over my features as I set my palms on his chest. "I really didn't mean to get you in any trouble. I wasn't thinking and what I did was so stupid. I know it's all my fault, so if you're mad at me I completely understand. And if you don't want to—"

"Slow down there, Scott," Jack cuts me off mid-rambling. He has the audacity to laugh as he gazes down at me, pale green eyes twinkling as they meet mine, a small smile crossing his lips. I didn't realize how much I've missed Jack's smile until he's directing it toward me, making my heart flutter as my knees go weak. "I got in a little trouble with my parents for ditching, sure, but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat even if the consequences ended up being worse. Besides, I was only grounded for the weekend. Nothing major."

"My dad grounded me, too," I inform Jack, so as not to seem like I got him into trouble while managing to remain innocent myself.

"If one of us should be apologizing right now, it's me." Jack runs a hand through his golden hair as a sigh escapes him, guilt seeping into his expression. "I'm sorry about the way my mom treated you when she caught us skipping. She was really upset with me, and she was just taking her anger out in the moment. Not that I'm making any excuses for her, because she shouldn't have reacted that way toward you. She and I aren't that close, but she's normally not so . . . cold. Anyway, she feels really about about everything and she wants to meet you again. If you want to, that is."

I have to bite the corner of my lip to keep my grin from spreading too wide, hardly able to believe Jack's words. I'd assumed that his mother hated me and that wasn't going to change, but here he is telling me that there's still a chance for redemption.

"Really?" I question, offering Jack a shy smile.

"Really," Jack confirms, planting a sweet kiss on my cheek as he takes my hand in his. "Mom wanted me to invite you over for dinner. I don't have an exact date yet, put I'll keep you posted, Scott."