Chapter Two: Skin Tight Business Pants

Hank orders Connor to escort me home while he goes out in town, presumably to drink until he passes out.

"Do you require food?" Connor asks me, standing rigidly in the middle of the living room while I unload my jacket and bag, patting Sumo on the head.

"In general or right now? Right now, I'm heading to bed. I'm exhausted," I tell him, walking to my bedroom. Connor follows behind me, not making any move to shield his eyes as I head to my dresser.

"Can you turn around?" I finally ask, holding my pajamas to my chest.

"Yes," he says, turning towards my desk. He preoccupies himself going through my stuff while I finish putting on my black basketball shorts and white tee-shirt.

"Did you finally piece together my life or are you still computing?" I ask him, apparently startling him. I didn't know androids could be startled.

"I'm just wanting to learn more about you...for the case. I should know who I'm working with."

I shake my head. "You don't, actually. I simply take notes and pictures for the precinct."

"Don't you think that requires me to implore further about you?" He asks, tilting his head.

"No, I don't," I say, heading towards the door. "I think you should focus on Hank. He's the one who needs help. Not me."

Connor stares after her, his inner-workings a mess. There's no history on her further than 2034. Hank filed for legal adoption then and suddenly she was created. She's not an android, though, as he can hear her heart beating. Her room doesn't seem to reveal anything.

He notices she left her top drawer slightly open when retrieving her pajamas, and goes over to close it. He doesn't want to pry but can't resist reaching for the picture.

Aurora is in the picture, probably about twelve, next to a female caregiver android. A man is behind them, kissing the android, his arm wrapped around the young Aurora.

Was she used as a pleasure bot for Aurora's father? Speaking of which, there's no documents on. Then again, Aurora's original last name is unknown.

"What are you doing?!" she spits from the doorway, water in hand.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"Get out," she says, her eyebrows pulled into an angry expression. "Get out, Connor!"

Connor takes his leave, handing her the picture before exiting. As soon as her door shuts, he hears sobbing from behind. He sighs, continuing down the hallway to look at other items in the house.

---

When I finally woke up, it was close to noon. Sighing, I get up and dress for the day, slipping on a purple and white plaid button up shirt over a black tank top. For bottoms, I put on a pair of black skinny jeans, though I barely have the energy to fight to get them up.

I hear Hank snoring in his room in just his boxers. My barefoot kicks a limp hanging off the mattress in an attempt to wake him up. He barely stirs. Knowing what I have to do, I go to the kitchen and return with a pot of freezing water, pouring it over his sleeping body.

"Fuckin' shit, Aurora!" He continues swearing as he gets dressed, glaring at me periodically.

"I'd let you die but I'm afraid I'll lose my job if you lose yours. So let's go."

He groans but ruffles my hair when he walks by me.

About ten minutes later, we're pulling into the precinct. Connor is already waiting by Hank and I's desks in anticipation.

"It's good to see you again, Lieutenant. You too, Miss Aurora."

"Can't say likewise," I tell him briskly, sitting down into my desk chair.

"Shit, Connor. Rory is such a forgiving person. You must've really said something to piss her off," Hank says, sitting into his own chair.

"Hank! In my office!"

Hank groans, standing up and following Captain Fowler to his office. Connor remains behind, though.

"Shouldn't you follow him?"

"Yes," he replies, walking away almost awkwardly. Gavin replaces his spot.

"Here's a coffee. You look like hell," he says, giving me a warm disposable thermos.

"Gee, thanks, Gavin. Is there a roofie in here?"

"I hope not since I drank some too."

"Gross," I say but take a drink anyways. I am extremely tired. After seeing Connor with a personal photo of my old life, I had a hard time falling asleep.

"I wonder if they equipped it with all the parts of a human," Gavin says, looking up at the Captain's see through office.

"You interested in it?" I tease, sipping the coffee.

"No! Of course not. I just wondered what a fake dick would look like. I bet it wouldn't compare to the real thing like mine," he says, winking at me.

"Again, gross. I don't want to try either one of you." Grimacing at the thought, I look between the approaching Connor and Gavin. "Yeah, I don't think he has one. Those are tight dress pants and I don't see anything."

"Welcome to the perverts club, babe," Gavin says, high fiving me then walking back to his desk.

"Was he trying to get fresh again, Ror?" Hank asks, concerned.

"When is he not?" I turn to my computer, typing up my notes to upload into our system.

"I get the impression my presence causes you some inconvenience, Lieutenant. I'd like you to know I'm very sorry about that," Connor says to Hank, who doesn't even look at him fully. "A lot of people don't appreciate having androids around... I was wondering... Is there any reason in particular you despise me?"

"Yeah, there is one." Hank doesn't provide anything further.

"Have you known captain Fowler for long?"

"Yeah, too long."

"I was wondering..."

"Jesus, Connor, can you shut the hell up?" I say, looking up from my document. "Start looking at the cases so you can leave quicker."

Connor looks surprised but corrects himself quickly. "If you have any files on deviants, I'd like to take a look at them."

"Terminal's on your desk. Knock yourself out," Hank replies in case I say anything else rude.

"I understand you're facing personal issues, Lieutenant, but you need to move past them... and-"

"Hey! Don't talk to me like you know me. I'm not your friend and I don't need your advice, okay?" Hank snaps at him, scrolling haphazardly through his kiosk. Personally, I'm leaning back in my chair, watching Connor try to interact with Hank. If I can't connect with him, neither can he.

"I've been assigned this mission, Lieutenant. I didn't come here to wait until you feel like working." Is that a hint of snark I hear? I snicker at the thought.

"Listen, asshole. If it was up to me, I'd throw the lot of you in a dumpster and set a match to it. So, stop pissing me off...or things are gonna get nasty," Hank says, standing up and grabbing Connor by the collar.

"Hank, we cannot afford to pay Cyberlife back if you damage it," I say, standing up and placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Lieutenant, sorry to disturb you," Chris interjects, approaching us. "I have some information on the AX400 that attacked the guy last night. It's been seen in the Ravendale district."

"I'm on it." Hank turns to me. "You're coming with us, scribe."

Great.