41

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I ask Steph.

"Yeah, of course! Why?"

"We can come back another time."

"But we're already here!"

"I know, it's just..."

"What is it? Are you on your period?"

"No, that's not it," I shake my head. "I just... This is where Tyler and Owen work."

She gasps. "Are they here?"

"I think so. At least, Tyler's car is here."

"Shit."

"Can we just... go home?"

"No! don't let him stop you! It's just a boy."

"But I don't want to see him!"

"Sarah..." she gives me a pointed look. "We're doing this."

"Please!" I beg. "We'll reschedule!"

"Looks like you're too late," she smirks, glancing over my shoulder. I follow her eyes, only to come face to face with a frowning Owen. He's peeking into the car, motioning for me to roll down the window.

Steph hops out of the car, greeting Owen with a hug. They pull my door open for me.

"Come on, Sarah, let's do this!" Owen calls.

"What are you doing?" I ask, eyeing him suspiciously.

"I'm taking your class," he says. "I saw your name on the roster this morning. Why didn't you tell me you were coming in?"

"I didn't know this was where you worked."

"Yeah, Tyler works here too," he tells me.

"He's not here today, is he?"

Fingers crossed.

"He's inside."

Shit.

"Please tells me he won't be teaching us?"

"Nah, that's not in his job description," he chuckles.

Thank heavens. At least I don't have to be around him.

"Come on girl, let's go," Steph grabs my hand, pulling me out of the car. I take my bag, and dust of my skirt, taking a deep breath in preparation of seeing him.

"That's not what you're wearing, is it?" Owen asks.

"No," I snicker. "This is a linen blouse, Owen!"

"My bad," he laughs at my strict tone. "I'll show you where the change rooms are."

We walk in through the garage door. A few people turn to look at us, but most are busy with their workouts. I scan the room for Tyler, but I don't see him. I do, however, spot the black guy with the dreadlocks who I met when I was here. I've forgotten his name. He's standing in the elevated boxing ring, staring down at his phone.

Owen leads us to the women's change rooms, which is right next to the entrance. I take my time getting changed, trying to postpone seeing Tyler. I exercise so little, I don't even own workout gear. I borrowed some yoga pants from Lena, but paired it with one of my own singlets.

"Come on," Steph grins. "Let's get going."

"I need a second."

I tie my hair up in a ponytail, scowling at myself in the mirror. I take a deep breath, trying to calm my beating heart.