Ⅲ | ᴀ ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ᴅᴇʙᴛ

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐇𝐀𝐌 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐀𝐍𝐘  loomed over the canal like a silent vigil over the grim scene playing out in its shadow

     𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐇𝐀𝐌 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐀𝐍𝐘  loomed over the canal like a silent vigil over the grim scene playing out in its shadow. Through the smoke stepped out two men - Thomas Shelby and Danny Owen, the latter shaking like a leaf on an autumn breeze. Glancing from beneath his peaked cap, Tommy spotted the three expecting, coat garbed figures on the other side of the canal.

     There, as negotiated, stood Caterina flanked by two Italians, brothers of the fallen waiter.

     As the condemned man glanced to his left, his face grew even paler than it was before. A coal barge glided over the oily waters, inching closer like his  planned demise.

     "Danny, as you know, the man you killed was Italian. And those two men down there are his brothers, and the woman, that's their boss," for a moment Danny lets his eyes flicker towards the grim figures glaring at him from beneath their fedoras, a rush of remorse filling his heart.

     "Now if I let the Italians do this they'll cut off your manhood and let you drain. That's how those bastards do things," they stopped by the edge of the canal, the ill-fated man stepping forward.

     "So to stop a war breaking out between us and the Italians, and to save you from their barbarity, I said I should dispatch you myself." Danny nods, having expected such conclusion, eyes fixed at the dreary waters bellow. He let out a shuddered breath, clutching his cap tightly to his chest.

     "They are here to witness."

     He then reached into his pocket and fished out a packet of cigarettes, offering one to the condemned man. With shaky hands he took a big drag before peering at Thomas with tears in his eyes.

"I died over there anyway Tommy. I left my fucking brains in the mud."

     Thomas nods gently in agreement. "Yeah. You have any last requests comrade?"

     One of the scowling men beside her stirred, checking his watch and huffing out in irritation. "Will they hurry up already? Siamo arrivati per l'esecuzione, non l'opera in tre atti."

     Whipping her head towards the man she hissed through her teeth. "Basta, Leonardo. You will have justice. Or do you doubt me?" The tone of her voice left no space for discussion.

"Apologies, signora."

"In the bleak midwinter..."

     Danny nods, tightly screwing his eyes shut in preparation. The boat is alongside. A moment later, Tommy pulls the trigger followed by a resonating bang echoing through the yard, the body of Danny Whizz-Bang falling face first onto the deck of the boat as it passed, a gruesome splash of blood and brains painting the executioners face.