xxxɪ | ᴄɪᴠɪʟ ᴡᴀʀ

"YOUR FATHER LEFT THE CITY BEFORE THE SUN WAS UP

"YOUR FATHER LEFT THE CITY BEFORE THE SUN WAS UP. Took everything valuable with him, cars with those bastards determined to stay loyal until the end?" the dark haired Sicilian spat on the ground, disgusted frown marring his face.

   "He left it all for Sabini and Changretta, to tear it all apart with their dirty little hands."

     Caterina stood in front of Watery Lane, still disheveled from sleep and completely livid. "Figlio di putana!" She kicked a stone with the tip of her boot, sending it flying over the deserted street. Stefano, by now used to his boss' bursts of famed temper, simply nodded in agreement.

Her mind was running a marathon already, too many things happening at once, a domino effect making all the bricks fall neatly on her own head. "Call–I don't—wait for me here," she ordered, turning on her heel and entering the Shelby betting shop.

A family meeting was called for and scheduled the moment the news of Alfie's betrayal came from London, and Polly marched into the office like a tornado, demanding answers and justice for her son. Now, she was sat well away from the rest of the family, her back turned and smoking cigarettes one after another.

     John was leaning with his elbows on the table when Cat entered the hall, an open ledger in front of him, with Esme rubbing his shoulder supportively. None of them managed to sleep properly, and it was doubtful if they would until the mess they were in was put into order.

Cat winced away from the look of pity thrown at her from the couple. "You look like shit," John said, extending his own cigarette for her to take. "Here."

She took it, mumbling a faint thanks his way and leaned on one of the wooden pillars.

     The man they all waited for walked in moments later, lips firmly set in a line. His eyes swept the room, prepared for the worst.

     "John?"

     "The coppers have lifted ten of our men in Camden Town," John straightened up in his seat. "The rest of them are on the run."

"Tommy, they've taken Michael," Finn said.

His brother shook his head. "Business first," he held a hand up.

Polly, who had been sitting away on the side, interjected. "They took Michael last night," she snapped.

     "They've took Arthur, too, Pol," Cat snapped, fed up with the woman's impatience. She loved Polly, she truly did, but ever since Michael stepped into the business she turned into something she could not get behind. "Get in the fucking line."

     Polly looked as if she was ready to pop an artery. "Say that—"

     "Polly, business first!" Tommy roared over her ranting, his aunt not shrinking away but pursing her lips in distaste.