ᴠɪɪɪ | ᴀ ᴡᴇᴅᴅɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴇɴᴅ ᴀ ᴡᴀʀ

     𝐀𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐔𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐏𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐍𝐕𝐈𝐓𝐄  to a Shelby family meeting made Caterina venture into The Garrison for what seemed the hundredth time that month.

     The usual attendees of the bar barely looked up from their drinks when she strode in, her usual fitted coat shielding her from the chilly February day, and a grey tweed dress peaking from underneath.

     With a passing wave to a tired looking Grace tending the bar, she disappeared inside the private booth, only to find the Shelby's fully assembled and waiting.

     "Right, sorry I'm late. Sorry John, and thank you for inviting me. " She had tried to argue with him on that, but he insisted. In a frighteningly short time she had become an extension to their family, something she didn't mind in the very least. With a pang of regret, she realised, they were more of a family to her than her own bloodline.

     "No, no thank you, you opened my eyes that other night here, when you spoke about uh- life being short and love and all that."

     "When the fuck did I say that?" Vaguely shocked at that discovery she turned to look at Polly, far too amused for he liking. She bumped her with her elbow, hissing. "Did you hear me say that?"

     "Yeah, somewhen after declaring war on the communists and losing twenty pounds on cards with the boys."

     "Jesus fuck." Running a hand over her face, she took a swig of beer passed over by someone at the table.

     "As I was saying," John hesitated, mentally preparing for the complete storm he was about to cause. "That's why I'm getting married."

     "Does this poor girl know you're going to marry her or are you going to spring it on her all of a sudden?" 

     "I've already proposed and she said yes."

     "I think there's a shell about to land and go bang." Thomas mused, an unlit cigarette hanging lazily from his lips.

     "It's, er - It's Lizzie Stark." John confessed, waiting for the inevitably terrible reaction. Several people in the booth unceremoniously spit out their drinks in surprise, Cat among them.

     Caterina threw her hands up in surprise. "Santo Dio!"

     "John." Polly exclaimed staring at her nephew, truly wondering if he was being serious. "Lizzie Stark's a strong woman and I am sure she provides a fine service for her customers." Another round of unconcealed laughter sounded from them.

     "I won't hear the word. Understand? Do not use that word." John straightened up in defence of his prospective bride.

     On Polly's left, Cat stayed silent like a tomb, lips parted in surprise and an unlit cigarette halfway to them. If anyone were to glance her way they would notice the burning red of her cheeks, recalling quite intimately the events of the night prior.