xxᴠ | ᴍɪᴄʜᴀᴇʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴜsɪɴ

"𝐀𝐋𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓, 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄?"

"𝐀𝐋𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓, 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄?"

     Caterina didn't even bother to look up from that morning's Birmingham Daily Gazette once Finn let in yet another candidate for the ridiculous mission underway, already fed up with the array of hooligans and petty criminals that lined up for the job offer.

   "The Digbeth Kid," the newcomer stated in a meek voice, causing her to finally glance up and asses him; he was young, eighteen at most and dressed like the American cowboys she'd seen in pictures. It contrasted hilariously against the sleek, new interior of the pub.

   John snorted from behind his papers, covering it with a quick cough once Caterina kicked him in the shin bellow the table.

   "The Dig-" Arthur began exasperatedly, eyes looking up and down the boys garb. "What are ya? A boxer?"

   "Digbeth Kid, like Billy the Kid," he elaborated somewhat proudly. His pride diminished once he noticed the mocking looks the occupants of the booth exchanged.

   "Spend a lot of time at the movies?"

     The boy smiled and reached to his belt. Presuming the worst, Arthur and John stood up, grabbing their own guns. Cat rolled her eyes in exasperation, standing up as she was the one closest to the boy.

     "May I?" she asked him, gesturing to the wooden pistol he had strapped to his belt. The boy nodded, intimidated by the woman standing so close to him.

     "Let's have a look," Thomas took it from her hand, examining the woodwork. He pointed it mockingly at his brothers who pretended to shoot back and die.

   "Very nice," said Tommy, handing it back. "Where'd you get the gun belt?"

   "Me sister made it out of an old blacksmith's apron," he explained as he tucked it back into his belt, pride flowing through him. "Me mum did most of the stitching. She's not me real mum, but..."

   "But she does what mothers do," Tommy observed him for a silent moment.

   "Have you ever been arrested?"

   "Yeah," the boy replied instantly. None of them believed him — he looked as innocent as a sprig of grass.

   "Yeah?" He asked, unconvinced.

   With a deflated sigh, Digbeth Kid amended. "No."

"Good. You're the first bloke in here today without a criminal record. Arthur we can stand him up," Thomas looked back at the boy. "Do you know what that means?"

     The cowboy shook his head in denial, prompting Cat to speak up. "The new Home Secretary wants something done about the illegal gambling..."

   "Damn right," John agreed, slamming his hand on the table theatrically.

   "About bloody time," his older brother agreed.