xxɪɪɪ | ᴛʜᴇ ᴊᴏʟʟʏ ᴊᴇᴡ

𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐀'𝐒 𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐆𝐍𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐓𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐒 did not stop her, however, from boarding January - a coal barge Charlie was kind enough to lend them — with Tommy and Curly, the trio gliding down the river to Camden Town

     The rickety barge made her sick as it swayed in its demure rhythm, threatening to tip over every time the river made a steeper turn — well, she might have exaggerated that part, but Caterina abhorred the feeling of a moving body of water underneath her every moment of the day.

     If the trip continued for much longer, she feared she might have a religious epiphany from the constant prayers.

     On the first night of their reckless adventure Tommy ran a fever so high Caterina though they might lose him in the same manner as she lost mother. They rotated by his bedside, Curly and her, wiping his forehead with cloth they soaked in the freezing water, calming his shaking limbs until he finally fell asleep. Cat silently admired the way Curly mixed fresh, fragrant herbs she couldn't even name on her own, placing them in bandages over Tommy's wounds, his funny brows furrowing in patient concentration as he nursed him to health.

     He might be a simple man, of a bit too many words stuttered, but Caterina was sure he was the kindest person she would ever meet in her lifetime. His funny little stories about the Shelby's and their childhood, or anecdotes from the shipyard made her laugh when they set down to eat. He even kindly offered to teach her how to steer the barge.

     She took off her shoes, letting the tips of her toes touch the chilling water, its freshness helping her stay awake after yet another sleepless night.

     While Tommy slept like the dead underneath the deck, she spent her nights laying above it, watching as the starry nights turned into painted dawns, mind mulling over every inch of their plan, every possibility and outcome.

     "Any of that bacon left Curly?" She called to the man steering the barge. While she was not that hungry at all, she knew Tommy hadn't eaten anything substantial enough in the last few days and she could only get him to eat if he had company to pester him into it.

     "Yes, Miss Cat, still some for you and Tommy." Curly bobbed his head up and down in agreement.

     Cat rapped her knuckles against the door of the small cabin. "Tommy, come eat something."

     He appeared in a matter of moments, stretching his hands above his head as he did so. The colour had returned to his cheeks, though he still sported a nasty bruise over his face and he kept holding his right arm across his chest — she could only guess because of the pain the movement caused him.

     "Right, I'm starving," he stated, looking around them, surveying the greenery surrounding them. "Where are we Curly?"

     "Heathrow," Curly confirmed his guesses while Cat stood up to come closer and inspect Tommys  bandages. "One more day and we'll be there. I'll put something in the pan. Can you steer?"