Chapter Sixteen

Word Count: 1598

~Abella

My mouth goes dry.

The rational me would immediately assume he is taunting me with some kind of joke to make this situation even worse. However, I stare at him, as he gets back up to his feet, I see no falter in his expression. He doesn't burst into laughter, and he doesn't immediately crack some kind of joke at my expense. He is completely serious.

Fear fills my veins like thick poison. There is no doubt he is being truthful, but with everything that has been revealed today, I'm not sure I want to explore the idea of us being mates. Especially since when I think about it, it almost seems to make perfect sense.

"Why are you telling me this?" I question. I know I brought this upon myself, questioning him and demanding so many answers.

If I knew this would be the case, I would have kept my mouth shut.

"You wanted complete honesty, and I decided to do graciously provide it," he tells me, leaning back against the couch as if he had finally lifted a weight of his shoulders that had been bothering him for awhile. I have so many more question building up within my mind, but I don't have the power or energy to ask them.

In short, I don't think I want to know.

"If this is true, it doesn't mean anything," I tell him firmly. I've always wanted a mate, however, I didn't think I was going to be paired with an immortal. I can't just accept it and that be that. I need to think about it first to decide whether or not I can handle this. It just doesn't feel right, for whatever reason.

Cian raises an eyebrow at me, looking skeptical. "Why, are you scared? Is it because I'm an immortal? Because I'm a sin? There is nothing to be afraid of...The only people who should be afraid of a sin are people who cross one."

I get to my feet, moving myself away from where he sits on the couch. I need time to process everything that I'm being told.

Before now, I never cared to learn anything about sins. I'm regretting that now.

"I just need time to think," I mutter, delving my hands into my hair. I haven't even touched him yet, but you don't just call someone your mate unless you mean it. It's impossible to fake, unless this is just a sick joke on Cian's part. I honestly wouldn't put that past him...but he looks so serious, I'm questioning my own doubt.

"Understandable. Can I get you a drink?" he asks, pulling himself up off the couch. I glare at him, wondering why he is so nonchalant about this when he just revealed a secret that big. It's almost as if he's had multiple mates in his time, and this isn't his first experience.

I shake my head at him. "No, but you can take me home."

Cian hesitates, narrowing his dark eyes for a moment. My arms are folded over my chest, as I stare back at him, balking. Cian doesn't seem to be taking this so seriously, so I want to go home and think about this myself.

"We haven't even confirmed that we are mates the old fashioned way," Cian says, holding his hand out like some kind of proposition.

To be completely honest, I was hoping to go home and make excuses, telling myself that he isn't my mate, and this has been a convoluted joke. However, here Cian stands, his hand held out to me, offering me the knowledge I can never step back from. I want to turn and run. To do anything but find out.

But I know I have no other choice.

"Fine, but again, this doesn't change anything," I mutter. The corner of Cian's mouth turns up slightly, clearly amused by the hesitation. Sure, he has all the luck with women because he has a bright smile, undeniable charm, and looks that not many in this world are lucky enough to possess.