Chapter Nineteen

Word Count: 1575

~Abella

There's no reasonable explanation for this.

I've spent my entire evening pouring over these drawings, trying to decipher what any of it means, but not being able to come to any conclusions that don't frighten me. I've considered that maybe he's just lost, alone, and these are a dark representation. Or maybe he is struggling with the loss of someone close to him, or maybe he has terrible nightmares each night and is looking for an outlet...I'm truly reaching at this point.

Perhaps some of these explanations would make perfect sense, if it weren't for the uneasy feeling in my stomach. The drawings are just so...unlike anything I've ever seen. Is Noah really like this? I can't imagine he would be, from the times I've met him, but how could I gauge from those small moments what he is truly like?

He's drawn demon like creatures emerging from a smudge of darkness. Each have eyes void of all feeling, of all mortal like tendencies. Dark hooked claws reach out, almost completely off the page, like they could reach into my soul and tear out any goodness I might have inside of me.

"Or maybe you're just overreacting."

Loosening a breath, I glance up at the rather cynical voice that is addressing me. Of all people to trust with information like this, I chose to confide in Cian. He hates Alpha's, and only wants to be here to talk to me about our mate-bond, which I have successfully dodged the topic of this entire time. I can't get these drawings out of my head, so someone else needed to hear about this.

"I'm not overreacting," I say pointedly, setting the few wrinkled drawings atop my desk. "No one in their right mind should be depicting such images. I don't know what it is, but it rubs me the wrong way."

Cian lounges back in my bed, resting his head on his hands. At least today he has dressed to fit in appropriately, instead of that immortal attire he adorns so regularly. If there is one aspect of his life I cannot adopt through being his mate, is the often brightly coloured, eccentric outfits. He's gone for darker colours today, which I can appreciate.

"The guys insane, let me tell you. What business do you have personally rummaging through his personal belongings? He's your boss, not your best friend, so why the visits?" He asks. There's a hitch to his voice that suggests this entire situation bothers him.

I scramble for an excuse, even if I don't particularly care for how he feels about it.

"I needed to talk to him about work, and this promotion, okay? That's beside the point. The point is, why do you talk so bad about Noah, and what else do you know about him?" I question. I'm sick of hearing him act like he knows Noah so well, when he won't reveal their relationship. What business does an Immortal Sin have with an Alpha?

Cian rests his head back against my pillow. "I've met him here and there. He's just a dark, depressed man who you should just avoid at all times. If anything, I wouldn't take the promotion. It's not like you need the money. Now that you're my mate, that is the last of your problems.'

Problems. It seems they are never ending.

"If you can take anything from us being mates, I'm not going to rely on you in any sense," I mutter, taking one last glance at the paper on my desk, before I come to sit down on the neck.

Cian sits up, moving right next to me, until our hips are touching. My stomach flutters, even at the smallest amount of contact. As apprehensive as I am about being mated to a Sin, I will admit that I'm feelings things for him that I shouldn't be. As much nature tells me otherwise, falling for him will mean I have to adopt his way of living. Right now, I want to stay my mortal self...