Chapter Twenty Four

Word Count: 1607

~Abella

"I was in the immortal realm."

I'm not lying. I did go to the immortal realm, I'm just not going to tell him what happened there. Noah flinches, blinking a few times in confusion. I suppose that's not a normal admission for the typical mortal, but Noah knows about my relationship with Cian, so he shouldn't be surprised. It's not much of an excuse for missing work, but it will have to do.

"With Cian?" he questions. I consider that for a moment, wondering whether or not I should throw him under the bus...Of course I should. He's the one who got me into this situation to begin with, so maybe I will use him as my scapegoat.

I rub the back of my neck uneasily, looking for an excuse. "Yes. He...drugged me. I didn't wake for eight days, and here I am."

Noah for a single moment, looks bewildered, then slightly angry.

"That's it? Your mate drugged you for no reason whatsoever?" he questions, scanning my face for a reaction. "I don't believe you."

"It wasn't for no reason...I haven't been so accepting of this, how do I put it, bond between us. I was acting out when he asked me to stay in the immortal realm with him forever," I tell him. It's a little more honesty than I expected myself to admit, but the intensity of Noah's gaze is forcing me to keep talking, like he deserves an explanation.

He left me with no answers the last time he saw me. He deserves to be lied to, or have information withheld. But the way he stares at me, the green in his eyes darkening to the point I'm almost scared.

"And that's meant to be okay?"

"I never said that," I say softly. "I'm just saying that was why I was late."

Noah leans back in his seat, folding his arms over his chest. He's skepticism is making me nervous. There's no way he's going to accept that as an excuse. It sounded much better in my head, and now I've made myself and my mate out to be completely insane. Noah already doesn't like Cian, and this will only amplify that.

"You start work tomorrow. I'm feeling forgiving today," he sighs, running a hand back through his hair. My eyes widened, completely taken aback by his answer. Is he really letting me have my job after all of this? He seems serious...

"Thank you, Noah. I could do with some normality in my life," I admit. I push my chair back, standing. This meeting went much better than I could have imagined.

"Hey, Abella?" Noah says, cutting my off before I can turn to leave the room. "Can we talk later? I have a meeting right now, but I want to talk to you about what happened the night you left. You deserve some answers."

I breathe in deeply. "I'll come over at eight."

***

I walk out of Noah's office, Gia, his assistant nowhere to be seen. Instead, I see the last person I wanted to at the doorway.

Cian.

He just walks into the room, not looking surprised to see me at all. I'm not exactly sure why he's here, but I know his intentions aren't good. Maybe he is here to retaliate for the way I left him, or maybe he is trying to get me to lose my job so I will return to the immortal realm with him and live with him and all his money. That's the last thing I want.

"Okay, this is too far," I mutter, walking up to jab him in the chest. He doesn't even react, looking down at me with a glint in his eyes I've become unfortunately familiar with. "Coming to my work? I thought our personal issues could be dealt with in private."